Hello from the Netherlands.

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

BertTrack
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Hello from the Netherlands.

Post by BertTrack »

Hi I'm Bert with the Track that came over for the Big Knock form the South of the Netherlands.
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Hello from the Netherlands.

Post by Stuart »

Hi Bert :D Thanks for bringing your bike over to the rally :!: I hope you enjoyed the event & the others bikes there.
Big_Willy_USA
Been here a while now..

Post by Big_Willy_USA »

Bert?
Bert?
Would this be you Bert?
2006 Honda GL1800, 1989 Honda GL1500, 2 1981 Suzuki GS850's, 2004 Suzuki DL1000, 1972 Yamaha CS5, 1974 Honda ST-90, 1985 BMW K75S.
"Specialization is for insects" - Robert Heinlein
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

Aye that'd be me!

I loved the rally. My first ever of the sort. And i'm going to try and do more of these. And not just for the bailey's.
Big_Willy_USA
Been here a while now..

Post by Big_Willy_USA »

BertTrack wrote:Aye that'd be me!

I loved the rally. My first ever of the sort. And i'm going to try and do more of these. And not just for the bailey's.
That's GREAT! I realized on my ride home that I'd just had dinner with someone and I couldn't remember their name, how embarrassing. Oh well, I'm glad you helped me close the loop. I'll be headed over your way at least once before my assignment is complete. We should grab a beer.
2006 Honda GL1800, 1989 Honda GL1500, 2 1981 Suzuki GS850's, 2004 Suzuki DL1000, 1972 Yamaha CS5, 1974 Honda ST-90, 1985 BMW K75S.
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

Hello there Bert. Was good to meet you at the Big Knock - I'm Dan, the one with the (petrol) V-Strom who was chatting to you into the darkness about your Track (and being forced to drink Baileys by Ola) on the Friday night.

The Hamm rally 7-9 September is also excellent and well worth a visit so hope to see you there.

Cheers, Dan
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Hi, it was great to meet you Bert.

Neil
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

Big_Willy_USA wrote:
BertTrack wrote:Aye that'd be me!

That's GREAT! I realized on my ride home that I'd just had dinner with someone and I couldn't remember their name, how embarrassing. Oh well, I'm glad you helped me close the loop. I'll be headed over your way at least once before my assignment is complete. We should grab a beer.

You're welcome to come on over. Maybe i can show you some nice riding places here. Depending on what you're looking for.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

You're welcome to come on over. Maybe i can show you some nice riding places here. Depending on what you're looking for.
You may wish to treat offers like this from the Netherlands with a little caution..... :oops:

Nah - it's a seriously chilled out place and flat as my first girlfriends chest
Big_Willy_USA
Been here a while now..

Post by Big_Willy_USA »

Diesel Dave wrote:
You may wish to treat offers like this from the Netherlands with a little caution..... :oops:

Nah - it's a seriously chilled out place and flat as my first girlfriends chest
Coming from Illinois? Really? How much flatter can it get? Besides, I bet they at least have CURVES in the Netherlands...;-)
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Oh Yeah!

zarquon

Post by zarquon »

And they also have a queen and they will celebrate her as well!

Crown Princess von Iam sterdam auf Flickr
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Note how we also have perfectly normal specimens like Bert, that don't look like they escaped from an assisted living facility.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
rednorfolk

Post by rednorfolk »

:D bert :D ...hello from sean :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: good times at the big knock, lots of fun . :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Royal Enfield 406cc diesel.
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

Hi Sean nice to see you here too.

Loads of fun!
Big_Willy_USA
Been here a while now..

Post by Big_Willy_USA »

Diesel Dave wrote:Oh Yeah!

NICE!!!! Dave! I love it!
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

Here's an update on my person and my bike.

As everyone should know by now the producer of my motorcycle has put itself on hold. They also issued a statement that the cooling fan that is hung through the radiator with tie-rips can cause a leak in the radiator. (movement of fan against aluminium liquid channels of the radiator) So it's best not to ride it.

Yeah. Right. So thinking back at how many times i've had the cooling fan switch on. And the temperatures i've seen on the dail. I discussed the topic with a good motorcycle and engines friend. We came to the conclusion that keeping an eye on the temp gauge should do nicely without any fan at all.

To paint the picture:
The thing is that with my bike the temperature sensor is set in the line that goes towards the radiator. About 3/4 of the way between thermostat housing and radiator. If that begins to show any heat it's because my thermostat has begun opening. Yay! And only when that temperature begins to climb over full opening temperature of the thermostat do i need to pay attention.
The radiator has it's entry and exit on the left. The coolant circulates through it top left to right to bottom left. And in the top right corner is the fan switch.

My experience so far is that i've never seen temperatures over 76c in the line towards the radiator. So i'm going to keep on being a happy diesel rider. (so far the update on me)
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

Sounds like a neat bike. I wouldn't mind one, but the price is waaaaaaay steep for what you get, even if it is a complete unit.
espe

Post by espe »

Rhynri wrote:Sounds like a neat bike. I wouldn't mind one, but the price is waaaaaaay steep for what you get, even if it is a complete unit.
No it isn't. It is amazing that such revolutionary bikes could be build for this price at such low quantities. Guys like Eric stick their necs out, only to get it chopped off by these kind of unfounded remarks :evil: .
You wanna talk expensive? Try Harley!
Nothing personal though Rhynri :wink:
As long as it smokes, it runs!
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Most people have a hard time disinguishing between stuff that costs a lot of money and stuff that is expensive.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

It wasn't a personal attack, but the truth. UK£ 15,995 = 25,088.16 USD. That bike costs more than my 2.0 TDI powered VW Jetta, which has a dual clutch gearbox. This bike not only costs more than a Can-Am Spyder RS (and some of the Touring versions with trailer), but also costs more than a fully optioned Honda Goldwing or BMW's priciest Touring bike. Unless I am mistaken, can't you buy a diesel Smart car and the Tiger to put the engine in for less?

Beyond that you have the drivetrain as a wear part, fewer MPG than the Smart Tiger, and also fewer MPG than my first bike (which averaged 85MPG), a Kawi 250R... which was faster and weighs less. I don't know if this is due to the CVT, but the goal is affordable transportation! You could buy a 250R new with all the gear to ride and a year's insurance for the taxes on the track.

We want diesel powered bikes for the masses, do we not? Hit 10-15$ USD and now we are talking. Hit 8k$ and you have a best-seller on your hands. Would I own a Track if I could? Of course. It's a great bike from the looks of things. But every drop of gas that 250R will burn in the lifetime of three engines (180,000 miles, engines are about 650$) plus the engines, all maintainence, tires, and insurance are still just over half the cost of the Track's list. Heck, the gas over the lifetime of my Fj1200 (at 45mpg and 200k miles) plus maintainence (which you could easily do yourself) and probably tires would still cost you less. And those figures are 4$/gal, not the 3.25$ I put into my car currently, UK per liter prices nonwithstanding.

@ Sphere = Google tells me: ex·pen·sive /ikˈspensiv/ Adjective: Costing a lot of money. What definition are you using? If the definition is "not an option for the average motorcyclist", that works too. Also, I said the price was steep.
espe

Post by espe »

Spoken like a true consumer Rhynri!
With these kind of comparisons you wont get annywere. Dieselbike for the masses? Personally I don't beleive in that. And why should a dieselbike be cheaper than gasoline bikes? You've lost me on that.
No big bike manufacturer dears to undertake this adventure. They say the age of pioneers has gone. But personally I like pioneers. And if I had the money to buy a new bike it would defenitly be a Track. It costs less here in Holland though. Around 17.000 Euro. And I would buy it driven by emotion, not economic calculations.
But he, that's me! I like dieselbike's for what they are, not for the fuelsavings they might bring.
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

Spoken like someone on a budget, espe! :mrgreen: I realize my reply came off a little snarky, but my initial statement was true, and I feel much the same about Harleys as you, no need for such grave insults! :lol:

My comparison was not to say a dieselbike should be cheaper than a petrol bike. I was pointing out that it's price eclipsed the entire ownership cost over the lifetime of several vehicles, and outpaces some of the most expensive touring bikes out there, qualifying my statement that the price is relatively steep for what you get. You might say you would buy it driven buy emotion, but I am military, and am not paid well enough to not consider cost. To me, a dieselbike must offer some tangible benefit over a bike such as the FJ1200 that I would otherwise purchase, even if I'm building it. I'm willing to pay right up to about 15k$ at the very most for it, but it would need to be the perfect diesel bike. (or you know, one I built or helped to build, that being perfect for me! :P ) Even the Telegraph reviews the Track as "Verdict: The best-ever oil-burning bike, but it’s still too expensive."

Sorry, I'm practical like that. I'm not interested in a bike just for the look-at-me (well, listen to me in this case) factor. Judging by the MPG threads and the the fact that the first question after a successful build is often on that exact subject, I would say a large concern on this forum (and by extension diesel bike owners) is mileage.
espe

Post by espe »

O.k Rhynri, point taken. Maybe I came on a bit to strong as well. But you know, I just want so badly for some dieselbike producer to succeed! I have really taken it badly that Track was forced to halt the production :evil: .
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

I completely understand that. I wished them well as well, because over time the price would drop. Seeing one successful diesel bike would lead other manf. to make their own. IF I could possibly afford one I would be driving it at the moment. Maybe we can persuade HDL to part from their diesel lump for a reasonable price. Or one of us win the lottery and make a business building diesel ADV bikes with licensed Smart diesels! :twisted:
espe

Post by espe »

Wouldn't that be something! I think I'm gonna buy a lottery ticket this month :wink:
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

I believe we have a track thread somewhere for this?
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

An update:

I've tried my Track without the torque feedback. And this resulted in lower rpm's but more slippage even at low speeds assoon as i increased the power a little. With not enough belt grip to go over 95km/hr aprox.

I'm now inclined to believe that the torque feedback part is needed to prevent to a degree some belt slippage (not all is prevented).

The battery an Odysee PC680 is barely alive. It failed a battery test and that will explain why i've been having so many problems. (No matter how long i ride it won't hold much of a load)
I'm getting some parts to refresh the battery according to Odysee's spec. Curious if it'll work.
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

hey bert, what is the function of the torque feedback? Or, if you have it in another thread, please do link that in here! :mrgreen:
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... =41&t=2372

There's the thread.

Removing the helix from the secondary cvt disables the tightening of the secondary spring when a load is applied.

The helix aplies more force on the secondary cvt spring when load is on the cvt. This grips the belt harder (for more power) but also counters the primary cvt action. It can even cause a down shift. While having the same rpm but a bigger load.

So running without the helix cause slippage to occur whenever i went over 10 hp on the secondary cvt.

I have first thought about changing the cvt helix but i think that will only result in more slip than i already have. So for the time being i'm leaving the cvt as is.

On the up side the Track is running as well as ever now. With a double refresh course of electrons having passed the battery it's now much more potent. It's still not loading as much due to the voltage regulator but that is something for the future.

The new belt is holding up. I'm still tentative about putting too much power on it. There are plans in the making to try and make the life easier on the secondary cvt.