New Smoker....Northern Iowa, USA

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Calkins
I'm pretty new here..

New Smoker....Northern Iowa, USA

Post by Calkins »

Hello all. I'm new to this diesel thing. I was born a gearhead, more so, a drag racer. I just did some horse trading with my pops for a bobber that he got to the riding stage, then moved on. My rig started life as a 1970 Honda CL450 street bike. I think dad paid almost nothing for it, and it had a current street title! The wheel assemblies were used, as well as the forks and front frame section. My father built his own hardtail rear frame section, and remounted the rear fender. I really dig it, but now I get to make it work correctly.

So, what's everyone think???
Attachments
06-26-11_1949.jpg
06-26-11_1948.jpg
06-26-11_1947.jpg
06-26-11_1943.jpg
06-26-11_1942.jpg
06-26-11_1905.jpg
Last edited by Calkins on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: New Smoker....Northern Iowa, USA

Post by Stuart »

Looks great Justin :D has a good style about it 8)

Stuart
balboa_71
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by balboa_71 »

Justin,
Looks like a light weight ride, when those clone engines are broken in, they rev right up...with that straight pipe, your ears will bleed from the noise :twisted: You have a piece of sheet metal missing from the front right cylinder that wraps around the cylinder to the pto side. While driving out on open roads, that's not an issue, but in stop and go traffic, you might get a hot spot on the cylinder...just an observation. It you look at other horizontal shaft gas engines, they all utilize the same sort of sheet metal. Have you gotten it out on the road? What else does the bike need to be street worthy?

Cris
1980 GS850 converted to 10hp diesel clone power.
2006 Jetta TDI for road work.
2007 Bonneville
Calkins
I'm pretty new here..

Post by Calkins »

balboa_71 wrote:Justin,
Looks like a light weight ride, when those clone engines are broken in, they rev right up...with that straight pipe, your ears will bleed from the noise :twisted: You have a piece of sheet metal missing from the front right cylinder that wraps around the cylinder to the pto side. While driving out on open roads, that's not an issue, but in stop and go traffic, you might get a hot spot on the cylinder...just an observation. It you look at other horizontal shaft gas engines, they all utilize the same sort of sheet metal. Have you gotten it out on the road? What else does the bike need to be street worthy?

Cris
Thanks! I just picked this bike up from my father last week. It's been sitting for at least three years as it is now. I did see the cylinder cooling tin at dad's, but I left is with the spare engine. I didn't think I needed it, but I understand what you are saying. I think I will reinstall it. I'm pretty sure that dad zeroed out the odometer, because it reads 64 miles. I haven't even fired it up yet. I saw him ride it the last time it ran, in 2009. It needs the wiring started, and little odds and ends that I want to change. Different brake cables and holders, longer seat springs, kick stand, folding foot pegs, new tires, possibly a Triumph fuel tank (I'm a Triumph lover), possibly a different license plate mount, and the biggest thing is fixxing the jackshaft. Dad used a single seat post to mount the jack shaft on, and it flexs badly. That is first on the list.

Here is a Honda photo of what this frame originally looked like. I like it too!

pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Chris,

If you've ever been in Alden, Iowa you'd discover that you'd have to put another 64 miles on it to even find stop and go traffic. Miles and miles of corn is your only friend.
Ron
balboa_71

Post by balboa_71 »

Justin,
When you wire up and use the starter motor, make sure you have the compression released engaged, if you try and engage the release and it doesn't take, rotate the engine CCW (pto end) 45° or so until the release holds, when you engage the starter, the engine needs to spin thru the compression stroke, cause if it doesn't (due to weak battery) the starter will stay engaged and tear up your battery and wiring trying to get it thru the next compression stroke....if that happens, re-engage the compression release. I've had that happen to me several times, don't know why it happens, but is something clone engine owners seldom discuss. The good news regarding your jackshaft is your bike has right side drive to rear wheel, that will make securing it much easier. Good luck with the build!

Ron, never been to Iowa, but it sounds like you are describing parts of the Texas panhandle where they grow a lot of cotton. Miles and miles of two lane 70 mph roads with cotton hauling trucks running 80+ mph :oops:

Cris
1980 GS850 converted to 10hp diesel clone power.
2006 Jetta TDI for road work.
2007 Bonneville
Calkins
I'm pretty new here..

Post by Calkins »

pietenpol2002 wrote:Chris,

If you've ever been in Alden, Iowa you'd discover that you'd have to put another 64 miles on it to even find stop and go traffic. Miles and miles of corn is your only friend.
Sounds like you know the area!
balboa_71 wrote:Justin,
When you wire up and use the starter motor, make sure you have the compression released engaged, if you try and engage the release and it doesn't take, rotate the engine CCW (pto end) 45° or so until the release holds, when you engage the starter, the engine needs to spin thru the compression stroke, cause if it doesn't (due to weak battery) the starter will stay engaged and tear up your battery and wiring trying to get it thru the next compression stroke....if that happens, re-engage the compression release. I've had that happen to me several times, don't know why it happens, but is something clone engine owners seldom discuss. The good news regarding your jackshaft is your bike has right side drive to rear wheel, that will make securing it much easier. Good luck with the build!

Ron, never been to Iowa, but it sounds like you are describing parts of the Texas panhandle where they grow a lot of cotton. Miles and miles of two lane 70 mph roads with cotton hauling trucks running 80+ mph :oops:

Cris
Thanks! These diesels are like black magic :roll: to me!
Calkins
I'm pretty new here..

Post by Calkins »

Here's an updated photo for anyone that is interested...

I'm still pluggin away at it. I've had it up to 55 so far, and I think that is about all she'll do. I don't think there is enough horsepower to pull the overdrive on the secondary clutch. But, it's all new to me, and I'm still learning. I do know one thing, this thing is stupid fun!!!
Attachments
12-13-11_0944.jpg
12-13-11_0935.jpg
Last edited by Calkins on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

Hey Justin

55mph is great and is just about the limit for 10hp. If you are not getting full shift out on your CVT put a larger sproket on the rear. This will give you more acceleration and not hurt your top end.

Sean
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

w/your gear head experience sounds like you'd be a great candidate for experimenting with either adding a Turbo or Super Charger. Keep us posted as ya go and remember..... w/out pics..... it didn't happen :mrgreen:
Calkins
I'm pretty new here..

Post by Calkins »

Here's a crappy little walk around I did a while back. Oh, and so you know, GoPro cameras seem to be great for onboard videos, but suck for hand held use...

http://youtu.be/LiszQAn9BLY

Also, how do you embed videos??
Calkins
I'm pretty new here..

Post by Calkins »

I have 200 miles on the smoker now. I snapped this a couple of days ago while I was on a recon mission.
Attachments
0418121306c.jpg
0418121305a.jpg
Last edited by Calkins on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Thank you for the update
Calkins
I'm pretty new here..

Post by Calkins »

Well, the bobber is long gone. I traded it for a flattracker. I did manage to take it to a rat rod show. That was pretty neat!!

I readded the photos as pre request. Here are a few more...
Attachments
1229111215b.jpg
0503121920.jpg
0306121712.jpg
0210121221.jpg
398188_3084388433784_1386074915_32179107_1152179245_n.jpg
149406_3084387993773_1386074915_32179106_498867249_n.jpg
0127122350.jpg
12-13-11_0939.jpg
12-06-11_1328.jpg
12-13-11_0941.jpg
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Huge mucho thanx for fixing the pics!!! Archive loves ya as will all the readers who can see it now when a search takes them to this thread!!