final drive

Gearbox questions & answers etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

lardy1
Been here a while now..

final drive

Post by lardy1 »

hi there people,has any one ever done a direct drive set up,rather than using a gearbox??, :)
Sphere
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: final drive

Post by Sphere »

Good luck getting your speed back up after a traffic light :shock:
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Note: DieselDave binned the thing (well, shelved it) because it was expensive, broke a lot and wasn't userfriendly.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
lardy1
Been here a while now..

Post by lardy1 »

mmmmm interesting,anybody got a gearbox??,lol.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

I think Anorak_Ian sells pimped Enfield gearboxes, dunno if he has stock.
lardy1
Been here a while now..

Post by lardy1 »

ok mate,i will have a word,ta much :D
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm planning one but I'm going to finish a couple of other projects like the V twin diesel bike before I continue with this one.

I'm half way through mounting a VW 1.9 diesel longitudinally in a frame and have the output go directly to a BMW shaft via a clutch. With a BMW standard wheel and R80 bevel ratio I've done a few sums and should have approximately 12mph at 500rpm, 75 at 3000rpm and 88mph at 3600rpm. I know the engine will work at a higher rpm than 3600 but I'm happy with this as a starting point.

I spoke to a bloke many many years ago who built a single gear bike from a petrol Ford cross flow engine (1600cc?). He confidently told me it was manageable around town (ie a bit tricky) but it came into its own on the open road, which is understandable. So with the extra torque of a diesel the problem of pulling away should be significantly reduced. I remember an issue about operating the car clutch from a hand control but my memory is fuzzy about that issue.

For me this is a low budget project made from a £20 engine and a scrap bike so I will have only lost time if its a total failure.
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.
lardy1
Been here a while now..

Post by lardy1 »

aye up mouse,cheerz for the info,i was looking at a post on a peugeout 1900 engine in a kwak frame,mmmmmmmmmmmmmm,interesting,maybe the way to go as i am planning to use it everyday,have you got any you tube bits of the vw??,see ya on rbz m8.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

FYI. I got a super cheap Peugeot engine off ebay a while ago and after lugging it home realised just how much heavier it was than my VW lump of the same capacity so took it straight to the nearest breakers and left it with them ans was glad they didn't try and charge me.
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

big vw engine would make a nice lump for a bike. There was an impressive one at Hamm this year, I have a pic somewhere I'll have to dig out. The engine was turned backwards and used the car transmission with shaft drive. The frame was particularly impressive for how the engine was squeezed into it.

N
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
lardy1
Been here a while now..

Post by lardy1 »

Mouse wrote:FYI. I got a super cheap Peugeot engine off ebay a while ago and after lugging it home realised just how much heavier it was than my VW lump of the same capacity so took it straight to the nearest breakers and left it with them ans was glad they didn't try and charge me.
ah hah,i remember seeing on ere a vw lupo powerd sidecar outfit,twaz bloody nice m8 :)
lardy1
Been here a while now..

Post by lardy1 »

Crazymanneil wrote:big vw engine would make a nice lump for a bike. There was an impressive one at Hamm this year, I have a pic somewhere I'll have to dig out. The engine was turned backwards and used the car transmission with shaft drive. The frame was particularly impressive for how the engine was squeezed into it.

N
looking forward to seeing that pic m8,nice one :)
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

I suspect this may be the VW 1.6 being referenced that was in attendance at Hamm. If not mistaken, it hails from Holland. And there are numerous other pics of it here on Dieselbike.net from it's many appearances at Hamm.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1030/135 ... 5265_o.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1112/135 ... d89e_o.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1301/135 ... 01d0_o.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1226/134 ... 8dd8_o.jpg
http://www.dieselbike.net/Hamm06/Hamm06DieselRoss2.jpg
http://www.dieselbike.net/Hamm09/Orange.JPG
Ron
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Yes thats the one, looks like you beat me to it. Here is my pic. I was impressed by how the frame perfectly encloses everything, in particular the starter motor is very close to the downtube. I think it would be a big job to take the engine out of there if it needed anything done. :roll: Brilliant job though, shows what can be done.

N
Attachments
P9121450.JPG
Bangkok to Sydney ???
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Annoying that I can't read the URL on the fender :mrgreen:
lardy1
Been here a while now..

Post by lardy1 »

tiz a nice machine that,see what you meen with the starter motor though.
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

The url is to the german diesel bike site dieselkrad.info. 8)

n
Bangkok to Sydney ???
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Anti-climax :roll:
John

Post by John »

Hi. This is not so much information as an anecdote. Years ago, I test rode an Enfield Robin diesel 412 cc. It was fitted with a ludicrously tall 20 tooth gearbox sprocket as standard fitment, giving a purely theoretical (unless you were driving off a cliif!) 65 mph in top @ 3600, - from 8.5 bhp! Even the lightest inclines that couldn't be seen with the naked eye would reduce cruising speed & sometimes require a downchange into 3rd. (itself giving 54 mph @3600) A far more appropriate speed for such a modest power output.
Anyway, the suprising thing about it, was that the engine could happily donk donk donk away from a standing start in top, at idle speed, without even having to touch the throttle! & without even a hint of chain snatch or hesitancy! It would then proceed to bang away at 20 mph on idle as happy as you like. - Of course, this would only be of any use if all the roads & journeys in your country were undertaken on dead level roads! :lol: