Does an Avon SM2 have a direction?

Topics concerning those circular things and how to stop them..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Sphere
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Does an Avon SM2 have a direction?

Post by Sphere »

Does a Avon SM2 have a specific direction in which it should be mounted to a rim? I couldn't discover any marking and the tyre looks pretty symmetrical.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/ ... leage-mkii
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
mark_in_manchester

Re: Does an Avon SM2 have a direction?

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Yes, they (and you) go straight on under all circumstances

;-)

Seriously, I don't think there's a preferred rotation direction. And once you get used to the square profile, cornering on anything else (except perhaps a DDR Pneumant) will be for sissie girls...

Mark, Manchester
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Thanks mark. I have to admit that it does look horribly outdated compared to other tyres, but the main reason why I won't be buying another, is because it was downright horrible to mount. The heidenau was much easier. But it will be just my luck that it will last me forever :P
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Hey, isn't Heidenau the new name for Pneumant?! You're a real tyre hard-man...not for you, the comforts of reliable adhesion...

I'm using Mitas (was Barum, Czechoslovakia) 4.00x19 on my Urals at the rear, and anything I can find at the front - currently a rather split old Michelin on the diesel and a block tread Pirelli 3.25x19 which is probably a rear tyre, on the front of the petrol bike. Lined up in waiting are a Korean 3.25x19 (£5 new, ebay), and in reserve some really horrible things including a 'Romvelo' (Romanian) tyre which appears to be made from shiny black plastic. It makes me want to acquire a sidecar, just so I can scrub these things out in relative safety. Pneumant fronts used to last forever, and certainly longer than the main bearings of the MZ TS250/1s to which they were attached...good luck!

M.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Well, well, it seems I picked me a pair of interesting tyres then. Still, the Heidenau must be better in the moist than that Avon ribthread thingie that is usually mounted on Enfields.