Upright Smart Car engine?

ECU's, Mapping, New Injection systems, etc

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

touchwoodsden
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Upright Smart Car engine?

Post by touchwoodsden »

Hello everyone. I am new on here. Thanks for letting me in.
Can I ask a question about the Smart Car engine?
It leans over in the car quite dramatically to the rear in the car and Tiger coversions I have seen..
Andreas Loersch’s bike seen here, http://www.dieselbike.net/bmw/bmw.htm
has a Smart diesel in although it looks quite neat in the images, the engine is at the same angle as the car and therefore hangs out so far onto the right-hand side (you can’t see that in the photograph) that it needs the battery on the other side to balance it out.
I have seen another photograph of the smart diesel in a bike when it was upright but I can’t find the photograph and it was a very poor photograph in any event.
To my mind, in a fuel injected vehicle there are only 3 things which stop a vehicle being run at any angle or indeed, upside down.
1 The oil in the sump and its contact with the crankshaft and other engine internals
2 drain holes in the cam box/rocker box
3 the angle of the oil pickup in the sump which obviously interacts with 1 above
does anyone have any ideas on the subject? Would it stand upright in the frame?
I’ve got my complete K100 ready to rip the motor out but Daihatsu Charade diesels now seem to be like hens teeth because they have not been made for some considerable period of time. Therefore, the Smart diesel would seem to be a reasonable option.
All ideas welcome.
Merc Estate
BRA CX 3
2 CV Dolly
2 x 250 MZs
1 x 125 4 stroke MZ
2 x 301 MZ
1 x Enfield Himalayan
1x Monkey bike
1 x Honda CT125
1 x Campervan Vivaro
1 x MZ Es250/1 and sidecar
1 x Cat
2 x Parrots
Bert in Weesp
Been here a while now..

Re: Upright Smart Car engine?

Post by Bert in Weesp »

The "almost" Smart diesel engine in my 90.000 km old Track T800 CDI is standing straight up. Oil reservoir custom made for the bike by the manufacturer.
I think that using the Smart CDI in a K100 will work great IF you'll manage to get a ECU for the basic engine without all sensors that are in the car, for instance EGR, gearbox etc.
The ECU that's in use in the Track T800 is no longer in production as far as I know.
Hamm arrival
Hamm arrival
touchwoodsden
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by touchwoodsden »

Bert in Weesp wrote:The "almost" Smart diesel engine in my 90.000 km old Track T800 CDI is standing straight up. Oil reservoir custom made for the bike by the manufacturer.
I think that using the Smart CDI in a K100 will work great IF you'll manage to get a ECU for the basic engine without all sensors that are in the car, for instance EGR, gearbox etc.
The ECU that's in use in the Track T800 is no longer in production as far as I know.
Hamm arrival.jpg
Thanks Bert.
That gives me another option which I think is lighter than the Daihatsu and more available
Do you know what flywheel is used as the Smart are all either auto or semi auto?
Thanks
James
Merc Estate
BRA CX 3
2 CV Dolly
2 x 250 MZs
1 x 125 4 stroke MZ
2 x 301 MZ
1 x Enfield Himalayan
1x Monkey bike
1 x Honda CT125
1 x Campervan Vivaro
1 x MZ Es250/1 and sidecar
1 x Cat
2 x Parrots
Bert in Weesp
Been here a while now..

Post by Bert in Weesp »

Standard Smart flywheel, but enlightened to make it more responsive ( I guess ) and/or also give more space to the CVT.