Kubota Honda

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Mouse
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Kubota Honda

Post by Mouse »

A bit redundant now as the main Aixam dealer wants close to £200 for a water pump so it's out of the question even if it was a suitable replacement on my refrigeration edition engine. I've sent the bits off to a rebuilder to sort out for me. I'll report back on the service as it is a very cheap alternative compared to all the other options.
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Don't know if it's any help but some Jaguars had a remote water pump??
http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/pievan/p2 ... 3_pump.JPG
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I was thinking, what about a 12v water pump?
ckhenshaw4
I'm pretty new here..

Post by ckhenshaw4 »

What an AWSOME build. I am hoping to find a Kubota 482 and do this build also. Great work. :D
LOVE diesels
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Mercedes Diesel
2000 VW Jetta TDI
1998 Dodge 12V with a Cummins Diesel
1999 Kubota BX220 Diesel
2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 with an Isuzu 4BD1T Turbo Diesel
And now WANTING to build a Diesel Mortorcycle.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Mouse wrote:A bit redundant now as the main Aixam dealer wants close to £200 for a water pump so it's out of the question even if it was a suitable replacement on my refrigeration edition engine. I've sent the bits off to a rebuilder to sort out for me. I'll report back on the service as it is a very cheap alternative compared to all the other options.
I may be wrong but I bet a Kubota 482 water pump is same all across the board. So search out tractors,compactors, welders, marine etc. that use the 482 and purchase one of those pumps and compare before installing. Before that guess one could also can compare Manuals for various products a 482 come out of for hints. Maybe a service manual or two have flow rates for pumps? does Axiam service manual have a flow rate or other test procedure for evaluating the pump?
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

The refrigerator version of this engine is unique Coach, hence the supply probs.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Stuart wrote:The refrigerator version of this engine is unique Coach, hence the supply probs.
His is out of an Axiam car not a Refer. Mine is out of a Refer so Im going thru the same thing but for a different reason.

My understanding is that it goes something like this...... Kubota does NOT allow cross reference research to other products with same model engines, or should I say even offer ability to cross reference in the software or parts books. Guess is the reason for this is they have contracted with each manufacture of the item the engine is used in, that they wont allow cross referencing.

Why? That way the manufacture of the product with a Kubota engine is the sole seller/distributor of parts for their unit(s) thus they can then set their own part prices. So Axiam chooses to sell parts high. Manufactures who put Kubota's in Marine products also sell parts like their worth gold. Tractor places and other industrial type products the prices are more reasonable. Same part.... just sold by different people.

All manufactures have a different concoction of part #'s to help make sure folk like us cant easily do the cross referencing ourselves. Some very special changes to engines like Oil Pans for Refer's Kubota dont actually make. Those are made by the manufacture who contract for Kubota engines in their product. For example.... Carrier Transicold makes (or farms out) the special extra capacity oil pans used on their Kubota power plants.

Apparently in each major country there is one or two LARGE industrial corporate Kubota centers that do have software that will cross reference buttttttttt.... they wont do it for normal folk. Only for a major manufacture parts retailer needing to stock parts for their individual Kubota application. Again same part.... Kubota sells it to them at low rate and retail brand part place then sell it at either a reasonable or god awful price as they please.

My understanding is Yanmar does the exact same thing.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yup, That's exactly what I experienced. Total blank wall, however the local Kubota dealer was confident that the internal parts were all the same across the range when I asked about pistons and fuel pump parts.

Problem is solved as I posted it off to Kubotaman who posted me a rebuilt one by return post. Cost abuout £74 all in including a gasket.

http://www.kubotaman.co.uk/

I did like the suggestions about an external water pump but as this engine is still in production I wanted to keep it as standard as feasible but if the engine was obsolete I wouldn't have hesitated to bodge something on there.
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

external electric water pump aint a bodge as it is a more efficent mover of water due to not being subject to engine rpm (runs at a constant speed and load regardless of the engine )