Punsun Dnepr build with questions

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

sno-bro
Been here a while now..

Re: Punsun Dnepr build with questions

Post by sno-bro »

Sibbo wrote:Sno Bro, have you calculated your road speed at 3000 rpm?

A great looking build mate ! :D
Hi Sibbo. Yes I have.

Assuming a 215cm length of the rear wheel, my very fast 4th gear (1:1) and standard rear drive (8:37) will make

3000rpm 83kmh
3600rpm 100kmh

If they start to seem too slow I can easily update the rear drive to 9:35 which will increase the speeds to

3000rpm 99kmh
3600rpm 119kmh

There is still an option of 10:32 rear drive but I doubt I'll go that route: First of all the first gear will be really tall which makes driving in traffic difficult, and there are no gears available to correct the speedometer error.

Also it is good to remember that the bike handling is based on very very old technology designed for slow speeds. The suspension and brakes are not up to the task.

sno-bro
Sibbo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Sibbo »

sno-bro wrote:
Sibbo wrote:Sno Bro, have you calculated your road speed at 3000 rpm?

A great looking build mate ! :D
Hi Sibbo. Yes I have.

Assuming a 215cm length of the rear wheel, my very fast 4th gear (1:1) and standard rear drive (8:37) will make

3000rpm 83kmh
3600rpm 100kmh

If they start to seem too slow I can easily update the rear drive to 9:35 which will increase the speeds to

3000rpm 99kmh
3600rpm 119kmh

There is still an option of 10:32 rear drive but I doubt I'll go that route: First of all the first gear will be really tall which makes driving in traffic difficult, and there are no gears available to correct the speedometer error.

Also it is good to remember that the bike handling is based on very very old technology designed for slow speeds. The suspension and brakes are not up to the task.

sno-bro
She's going to be a brilliant bike Sno-Bro :D , especially with a 9.35 rear end , 90 km is a nice cruising speed and it's probably at the top of the torque curve too.

Speedo ? do what Norton riders do , use a bicycle computer. Dead accurate and cheap.

A good way around the brakes would be a laced in Honda front drum brake or similar .It shouldn't be that noticeable and they are truly good!

Congratulations mate, she is great! :D
res0wc18
I'm pretty new here..

Post by res0wc18 »

Did you ever finish this bike?
sno-bro
Been here a while now..

Post by sno-bro »

Hi,

yes I did. You can see some pictures in the following discussion:

https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... =31&t=2301

the discussion includes a link to a short video.

The bike still runs fine! Although it does leak some oil and fuel that I need to attend to.

sno-bro