Compounds to seal leaky fuel unions?

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

mark_in_manchester
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Compounds to seal leaky fuel unions?

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Hi All -

My fuel system leaked all over my alternator, which eventually caught fire...the plumbing is made up of old laboratory compressed-air fittings, valves etc - which fit together using compression fittings / olives on small bits of stainless 1/4" pipe. It's a 2 tank system so there are 4 valves (2 send, 2 return) and lots of unions. Unfortunately it leaks...I was thinking of having a go with Blue Goo (hylomar) and / or plumbers PTFE tape...has anyone any experience of how this stuff reacts to diesel? Or suggestions for anything more suitable?

cheers

Mark
coachgeo

Re: Compounds to seal leaky fuel unions?

Post by coachgeo »

mark_in_manchester wrote:... or plumbers PTFE tape...has anyone any experience of how this stuff reacts to diesel? Or suggestions for anything more suitable?
Not sure about straight diesel but have heard PTFE Tape issues with biodiesel and veg. oil fuels.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I came across blue hylomar in my fuel line when I had the tank off the Ruggerfield. It had broken up some and gone quite hard. It was inside the nuts up at the tank end and I cleaned it off. There was some in the pipe even. Leaks followed until I tightened up the nuts more. Now I find nothing leaking down the pipes but a small puddle under the bike. Tightening an Injector stack solved the problem - for a while - but I digress. That's the only experience I have of hylomar and diesel. I think the PTFE tape should be a better option. Less likely to be affected by normal rather than Bio I'd imagine?
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Shite...I've gone all over it with hylomar. Well, I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see how we go. Thanks for the responses - I'll update this next time it fails...

cheers
Mark
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

The stuff you need is called Calortite.... It's a red non-setting goo designed to seal gas pipes..... but it's completely ok with diesel.... dinousaur derived diesel that is...never tried it with veg....

readily available from chandlers.....