Insurance thread

Insurance & Registration issues etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Insurance thread

Post by Crazymanneil »

Saw another thread and it got me thinking.

Just wondering if everyone would like to post their reccomendations for insurance companies for diesel bikes? Outside UK too is good for interest sake (perhaps I should emmigrate? :mrgreen: )

I've used carole nash for petrol bikes before and they were decent but no idea how they'd handle something non-standard...

N
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Insurance thread

Post by sbrumby »

Did this before hardly got a reply, could only think others were getting a worse deal than me and were embarrest to post what they were paying.
Sam
johnfireball

Post by johnfireball »

Hi crazy,
I rang carole nash in Dublin and told them exactly what I had done and they were happy to add it onto my enfield insurance for an extra €200.00. but also added pillion cover The big question was whether I had changed the engine to gain a performance advantage to which I replied that the power output was virtually the same as with the original engine.
Total for 2 bikes €450.
John.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I'm with Carole Nash. They were OK aboout the Ruggerfield. The previous owner (and builder) had it with Footman James.
When I originally tried to get my Hatz 350 insured locally they wanted an MOT ticket even though it was a new bike. I soon got shot of them :!: :D
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

interesting, carole nash seems goo so far. do they ask for engineers reports etc?
Bangkok to Sydney ???
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

I have a Carole Nash classic policy - I rang them yesterday to tell them about changes to Ural (993 Daihatsu), and they were only concerned about an increase in the bike's value. No requirement for a report (unlike DVLA) and no extra premium. This is not what I was expecting at all...total cost (MZ 250, Ural M63 and Ural diesel) is <£90.
M.
Last edited by mark_in_manchester on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

As regards engineers reports don't get overly concerned about this.

An experienced bike MOT tester can do it, the wording I have on mine is something like:

"I have inspected this vehicle and confirm it has been constructed to a roadworthy standard using suitable materials and techniques".

This was accepted by the insurance company without question.

Dave
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Inneresting. Over in NI the MOT is done by a government agency so don't think they'll do reports. I guess a garage should be ok about it though.

Any other insurance companies people reckon are good?

N
Bangkok to Sydney ???
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I will post again, with Footman James 3 diesel bikes, UK & european breakdone cover,emegency european travel insurance, fully comp, agreed values of £3000, £2000, & £600. £141.
beat that!
Sam
buckles

Post by buckles »

Hello all, My bikes are covered by bikesure, when I told them I was going to covert the ural they said because of the degree of alterations they will not be willing to offer me cover, seems a bit bonkers to me, I have been with these people for ages and have loads of no-claims. Andy.
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Footman james sounds great, just a shame they don't do NI. (russa frussa). Maybe I should move? 8)

n
Bangkok to Sydney ???
buckles

Post by buckles »

long story short, my insurance comp would not touch my bike (Ural daihatsu outfit), so i phoned footman James impressed, :P they wanted £129.00 fully comp inc euro breakdown for the u d outfit, great i thought but £280.00 to cover my gs1200adv :o bugger when its up for renewal in April. My insurance comp then phoned me back to say they may be able to offer me cover with a company called trinity lane :D so i gave them the new details and they said they would phone back :P , i phoned Carol Nash gave them the details and they also would ring me back, which they did but would not cover the U d outfit :cry: bugger. I seem to be running out of options, but the next day i got a phone call from my insurance company (bikesure) who would be able to offer me cover for £256.00 fully comp that's the U d outfit and an 06 BMW 1200 gsa, result :D . Worth the two hours of phone calls :evil: :? . I did though tell bikesure that when i got cover for the outfit that i would take my other bikes to that company at renewal!. but i am pleased with the outcome :P .
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

..."u d outfit"... ?
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Sphere wrote:..."u d outfit"... ?
u d outfit = Ural with a Diahatsu Outfitted into the bike

least that is my guess
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Oh right, it says so right in the very beginning.

ME AM SMRT :|
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.