SVA always end with a Q plate?

Insurance & Registration issues etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Anorak_ian
I luv the smell of Diesel...

SVA always end with a Q plate?

Post by Anorak_ian »

Does a bike that has a moded frame + SVA always end with a Q plate?

I have a problem with an old Brit Enfield bike, no logbook and dvla has no record of it (and the back bone has been repaired).
I can't ask the Enfield owners club to help as it's a diesel.

Any ideas as to what to do?

Cheers Ian :?
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Re: SVA always end with a Q plate?

Post by Diesel Dave »

Ian,

Have you tried the club or assuming they won't help?

Assuming the club have refused to verify the machines age, you are left with the ruling that ends up with a q plate - namely a machine assembled form parts of varying ages.

If the backbone has been lengthened then it's likely that any insurance company would insist on an engineers report. Don't let this worry you, my local bike shop MOT bloke wrote one for me and basically all it said was that the bike had been modified using suitable materials and methods and in his professional opinion was safe and roadworthy.

So being issued with a q plate does not mean you have to keep it, you could always buy a cheep personal one for a few hundred quid.

If you had an old tax disk you could have recovered the original reg number.

Dave
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

I have tried the club (who took about four months to get back to me) but they say it has to be intact as it was when it left the factory.
I don't suppose it has to be shiny or even have the correct paint job, but defiantly has to have all metal work as was.

The back bone hasn't been lengthened but there has been welding to it.

The reason I didn't want a Q plate was the insurance companies will charge more for a 3rd party insurance than a fully comp, and 3rd party is all one insurance company would offer. Unfortunately I don't think having a private reg will change the insurance companies from knowing it is really a Q plate and then charging the earth. :(

I have better than the old tax disc; I have the original 1960's logbook and engine cases with the corresponding numbers on them.
All frame and engine numbers check out with the logbook but DVLA will not give me a V5c as they have no record of the bikes reg number.

So it looks like my options are re build it as was, obtain a logbook, and then change it to diesel. Or, replace the frame for one with V5 (Ha, as if). Or, build it, SVA it and hope it aint a Q plate.

Which brings me to the question of SVA, does it always end up with a Q plate?
buckles

Post by buckles »

Hi Ian, whats stopping you taking the bike and getting an mot with the frame number and then apply for a year related plate, you could also get a letter from the owners club stating what year the frame number is from if needed. Andy.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

buckles wrote:Hi Ian, whats stopping you taking the bike and getting an mot with the frame number and then apply for a year related plate, you could also get a letter from the owners club stating what year the frame number is from if needed. Andy.
Unfortunatley that's not going to do it, as DVLA will not give a v5c unless the club state that the bike is genuine as it rolled out of Reditch factory.

I am now thinking about changing the frame (I don't like the idea of a repaired frame), and getting a bullet 350 egine nice and cheep, build a bullet, get the v5c logbook and change it to a diesel.