Enfield Taurus successfully turbocharged

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

mamboman
I'm pretty new here..

Enfield Taurus successfully turbocharged

Post by mamboman »

From the online version of "The Hindu" newspaper:
"Thiruvananthapuram: A group of students of the Lourde Matha College of Science and Technology at Kuttichal, near here, has developed a turbo-charged engine for the Royal Enfield Taurus, the only diesel motorcycle in the Indian market."
They used an intercooler, and parts scavenged from three other makes of vehicle to attach a small Japanese turbo to the Greaves, achieving a 15 % power gain, 5% economy gain and lower noise levels. Total cost was 17,500 rupees - around US$370.

Full article and photo:

http://www.hindu.com/2009/05/24/stories ... 180200.htm
andrewaust
Site Admin

Re: Enfield Taurus successfully turbocharged

Post by andrewaust »

Hey cool ! :)

So Ganesh and the other students did finish the project. I'll try and post up the photo's Ganesh sent to me.

The heating I think is from the delivery of to much fuel as Ganesh commented on engine smoking and loosing power after a short distance, so hopefully they will wind the rack down a little.

The use of an intercooler will be interesting to see results, I also mentioned using plenum chambers to Ganesh, so hopefully they might take that on board too.

A ;)
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Blimey :!: Crikey :!: (and all those other Brit expressions that nobody knows :D) An interesting project if ever there was one:!: Lets hope it can be fine tuned if indeed it needs work. When I attended the lecture on the KLR they mentioned that they looked into the turbo option but discounted it because of all the extra pipework needed. Good to see someone is having a go though :D
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Yes mate! I have welcomed Ganesh to join the forum, hanging to have him post some piccies! I've been sitting on this one for a little while. I'm sure he doesn't mind me posting them as it's a real credit to the guy's putting something like this together.

He told me he had exams on the 22nd and was wondering how he went.

Hopefully we might have him join in.

Great job also mamboman for finding and posting the article, thanks mate.

A ;)
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Fantastic achievement on fitting that turbo, I still have one under the bench to fit sometime.

Taking the challenge a bit further.........

How about 2 stroking a Greaves with a supercharger?

One of those Peugeot 125cc scooter superchargers should be up to the job, cut some ports in the barrel and knock up a double lobed camshaft thet opens both valves to act as the exhaust.

I suppose a turbo would be easier but starting might be a tad difficult unless you can kick start at 1200 rpm :D

16-18HP 400cc single for a little extra weight, crank would be up to the job because the pulses are more even and little more powerful than the 4 stroke.

It's possible..............

Dave
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Exactly Dave! The 2 stroke would put out near 18hp if it was to use force induction by either blower or turbo with a 400cc engine. Wouldn't it be nice to turn up a cylinder with bottom inlet ports, either modify the cam sprockets for 1:1 ratio or modify the cams with double lobes for injection and inlet. Piston would need a bottom skirt oil control ring etc along with a slight change to piston swirl chamber, unless you want to go to indirect injection to run WVO etc.

Like you said though, it is possible/achievable = problem/solution :) Lucky I'm not in the UK, I'd be annoying you ............ loll :lol:

A ;)
Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

Post by Diesel Graham »

....and people say you cant turbocharge a single cylinder :?
Enfield Taurus Greaves - running well now!
Lohmann 18cc - undergoing restoration
mamboman
I'm pretty new here..

Post by mamboman »

Does anybody know what model turbo was used? I have a dream of turboing a 440 Lombardini engine. Some say a Mitisubishi TD02 would work, others say its too small.... I would only want a small amount of boost...
Look at this guy's tiny petrol turbo pocket bike: http://www.btinternet.com/~goosegog/turbodax.htm
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Hey Mamboman

The turbo is a clone IHI RHB31 , the real deal sells for big dollars, where the china one is around 216 USD.

Before you do it, let me say I purchased one and placed it on for testing, hooking up a pressure device to measure boost. If you run a CVT setup using 3000 rpm most of the time it might boost, if your keen to tick the engine over at 2000 rpm, I'd forget it.

Spooling the turbine up is one thing, creating usable boost pressure is another. I've posted a tread regarding this https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... ?f=3&t=962

I'm also questioning the reliability of the yanclone engine, so the turbo is going to another project at a later date. Your 440 Lombardini engine should be better built, so you'll be more successful if you can create a good system.

A ;)
mamboman
I'm pretty new here..

Post by mamboman »

Mazdog's RHB31 Turbo project looks promising too. Some manufacturers supply smaller housings so the boost kicks in at lower revs. However, low-revving sub 500cc diesels might be pushing the envelope too far...
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

mamboman wrote:Mazdog's RHB31 Turbo project looks promising too. Some manufacturers supply smaller housings so the boost kicks in at lower revs. However, low-revving sub 500cc diesels might be pushing the envelope too far...
Yes exactly mate, petrol singles will run up to 8,000 rpm and even higher creating a good exhaust pulse. Diesels really like to produce torque around the 2200 rpm area, its just the nature of fuel burn etc, way to low to spin a turbine to produce power. You might get boost at 3600 rpm, then you can ask at what cost = broken crank, failed bearings.

It's all fun :)

A ;)
mamboman
I'm pretty new here..

Post by mamboman »

Does anyone know what the maximum boost would be on an engine like this before internal mods need to be made?
cumorglas
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by cumorglas »

mamboman wrote:Does anyone know what the maximum boost would be on an engine like this before internal mods need to be made?
usually the first person to find out that info does it by breaking something. in this case your crew there is the first. my only turbo experience is with gasoline four cylinders. those are pretty variable. some engines can take 15psi with stock internals some come apart at 11 or 12. or even less.

take it up a little at a time till you get scared or break something. then let us know so we can reap the benefit of your experience. ;-)
mamboman
I'm pretty new here..

Post by mamboman »

I was thinking of a set up that only provided say, 5lbs boost, but set up to maintain it in high-altitude, mountain passes. I read somewhere that diesel fuel injector pumps must be modified if you boost too much, to overcome the higher cylinder pressures... but the one snippet I found was a bike that had almost doubled the cylinder pressures.. I am sure everyone on this forum has read this article:

http://www.dieselbike.net/commercialextras.htm
pmgm
I don't post much...

Post by pmgm »

i want to turbocharge my taurus 325cc diesel engine.any one please say the model number of the turbo charger and oil surcular of the engine.
mamboman
I'm pretty new here..

Post by mamboman »

This mini turbo looks like it would be small enough - and price is cheap too:
http://www.mbe-motorsports.com/catalog/ ... gooqk39v50