clutch recommendation Enfield + Hatz 1B40

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Sphere
I luv the smell of Diesel...

clutch recommendation Enfield + Hatz 1B40

Post by Sphere »

My clutch housing currently shelters a 3-disc setup. Would it be better/beneficial to move to a 4-disc or even 5-disc setup? Anyone with experience concerning this topic?
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Re: clutch recommendation Enfield + Hatz 1B40

Post by Diesel Dave »

Yes, the 3 plate is barely up to the task on an old Greaves engine and the IB40 is quite a bit more powerful.

Go straight to the new 5 plate clutch.

Dave
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

So today I experienced it first hand. The 3 plate clutch kinda sucks. Ass. A lot. Is it possible to fit the 5 plate kit to the 3 plate drum? From the part list it seems the are different :cry: If not, would it be possible to modify the drum? Are there any other pointers to prevent slip? Oil in the inner case is 80W90 (GL5).
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

Dave can correct me if I'm wrong but I understand the 4 plate clutch sits in a larger basket (hence the different part numbers) but this basket can be simply fitted in place. The 5 plate conversion will fit in the 4 plate basket but not the 3.

My bike was also upgraded as the convertor (Henry Price) had found exactly what Dave describes - the 3 plate simply isn't up to it and slips. In fact I'd go with Dave's recommendation of the 5 plate. I can live with my 4 plate but even that still slips and is very hard to adjust so happy with both cold and hot.

Good luck...

Dan
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Hi Dan,

Thanks. Do you know if you can buy just the drum or only complete assemblies?
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

I have asked around, and opted to buy a complete 4speed 5plate assembly. Unfortunately the seller claims no stock. So I have contacted other sellers. Another option would be to temporarily fit the handstarter and pray the 3 plate clutch allows you to accelerate, but someone said even the 5 plate clutch will only barely do at low rpm.

Also I would have to modify the gearlever (again). Or maybe file away at the starter housing of the Hatz. Good thing Nanko is patient and doesn't mind waiting for a month or so :twisted:
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

I think it finally hit home that I can't just use the 500cc clutch centre. My Enfield manual states that the splines on the axle are longer. So I probably need:

- clutch centre
- drum/sprocket assembly
- more/new plates
- heavier springs
- different gearbox axle for the new clutch (main shaft sleeve?)