Sprocket Size Calculator

For Spreadsheets, Gear Ratios, Speed Calculation etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

boneshaker
I'm pretty new here..

Sprocket Size Calculator

Post by boneshaker »

I think i remember somebody posting a table or formula or something for calculating sprocket size. I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know where it is?

I'm starting to build the frame on my diesel, and trying to figure out future problems, including attaching a sprocket. So before i go out and buy a sprocket, it'd be good to know what size i should be looking for.
oilburner
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by oilburner »

boneshaker
I'm pretty new here..

Post by boneshaker »

Okay, the couple tables i received where rather complicated. So i searched through the dieselmotorcycle archives and found the link. The link for future reference is here http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

So i entered in 3600 RPM, a rear axle gear ratio of 6 (10 teeth front, 60 teeth rear), a tranny ratio of .9 (which is the Torq-a-verter topped out), and 26" wheel (which may be slightly off, but should be fairly close) and i come up with 51MPH.

My question is this, that doesn't take into account the engine HP. Sure if i'm running a 20HP engine, i should have no trouble reaching that speed with that setup. However, I'm running a rather small engine, only about 4.5HP. But, i'm also running a very small/light motorcycle and i come in about about 175lb myself. So this setup will purportedly get me to 50MPH but will it get me off the line? The only thing i knew to do was to enter the engagement speed of the Torq-a-verter (2200RPM) and the low end gear ratio (2.7) which gives me 10MPH. Can anybody help me decifer this information? I'm not looking for great speed out of this bike, but i would like to get as much as possible without spending 5 minutes getting away from a stop light.

By the way, here's the start of my bike