Exhaust Header for Daihatsu D950

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

oilburner
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Exhaust Header for Daihatsu D950

Post by oilburner »

The exhaust manifold setup on the normally aspirated Daihatsu D950 is not suitable for use on a motorcycle and has a unique design that makes it difficult to replace with a conventional header.
I made up a set of adapters and am in the process of fabricating the header. Here are a few pics.
The finished header will be similar to that used on the new Triumph Rocket III:
The adapters bolt to the cylinder head using shallow head 13mm socket head bolts. Recesses are milled in the adapters for the bolts:
The radius of the header elbows are too tight to be bent on a mandrel bender, so I am fabricating them by hand. Each elbow is made from pie shaped pieces of pipe welded together. This picture shows one semi finished elbow and the flange it will be welded to. An adapter is in the background.
The installed header will have a heat shield mostly for cosmetic reasons as the header tucks in close to the engine. The fuel tank will project farther out than the header.

Avery
Byrdman

Post by Byrdman »

Very nice.

Don't forget that unless you are hanging a turbo off of the header, all four bolts aren't needed for each exhaust pipe.

If you are just running a header and a separately supported muffler, three would have been plenty.
Last edited by Byrdman on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
oilburner

Post by oilburner »

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I've decided on two, as used on the Indian fours. Looks much cleaner.

Avery