Fuel Consumption Figures

Usage, MPG, Pricing, Bio-Diesel, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

oilburner
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Fuel Consumption Figures

Post by oilburner »

Is anyone logging fuel consumption information for their bike? Anecdotal info suggests the 10hp single cylinder engines are averaging over 100 miles per imperial gallon. If you know the BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) for your engine, you can calculate the average horsepower output of your engine.

The BSFC figures for the 3 cylinder Kubota, Yanmar, and Daihatsu industrial engines suggests that they should average 75 - 85 miles per imperial gallon for steady state highway riding. Again, anecdotal info from a couple posts seems to confirm this. Not great mileage by any means but makes sense if power requirement is taken into consideration. The general rule says it takes 3 times more power to go 70 mph than it does to go 50 mph. As they say you get (mph) what you pay for :)
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

As far as MPG figures go my Hatz 350cc will do about 165mpg and I figure the Rugg 850cc will do in the region of 90. I'd be interested to know of other mpg figure relating to the Ruggerini twins :wink:
Update: 2010: I'm getting in the region of 120mpg but have not done the math or run her dry. Can easily do 6 or 7 hours in the saddle before re-fuelling. Then in cost me 8 euros to fill up at French prices. But that's on straight motorway runs cruising at 55-60mph. I guess I get nearer 100mpg about town. The bottom line is that it doesn't hurt the wallet!
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

I'm to lazy to do the metric to imperial conversion :) But I'm getting between 1.4 to 2.2 liters to the 100 K's.

The lower is cruising between 60-70 K's/hr right dead smack on the fuel curve.

Mostly the curve for high speed diesels is between 1700 - 2200, and nearly always near the torque curve. So idling a diesel for the same suggested distance would not be the most fuel efficient way to go.

Diesel has just hit the $1.70 per liter mark, petrols around $1.50 :(, so we're seriously being ripped off!

I'm still using a small amount of Acetone in the fuel, but really don't think it does a great lot. I'll have to see if I can do a comparison.

:)
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

andrewaust wrote: I'm still using a small amount of Acetone in the fuel, but really don't think it does a great lot. I'll have to see if I can do a comparison.

:)
Try using 10 % of veggie oil. either rapeseed or sunflower. It made my car run miuch smoother.
Larry
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Thanks for that Larry! I'm going to try some bio again in the near future, and see what power and economy figures I get. Just depends if I can get my hands on some :).

Sunflower oil sounds good! MMMM well worth the try. Rapeseed oil is something I haven't seen here on my travels, but Canola and Sunflower oil is easy to find.

One thing I have noticed, veg oil is ridiculously expensive here, I'm guessing drought has influenced it.

Cheers

Andrew :)
oldbmw

Re: Fuel Consumption Figures

Post by oldbmw »

as I was browsing through I thought I might re awaken this thread. Since buying my Enfield Electra I have kept a record of miles travelled and fuel used. I have made 94 mpg average over the last 3000 miles. Poodling about here at usually around 55-60 mph but about 60-65 mph on some longer runs on dual carriage ways. It has a 19 tooth gearbox sprocket which is one more than standard and that will be replaced by the correct 18 tooth sprocket for 2010's season riding. It causes me to change into fourth gear too often. I do not expect it to make any difference to mpg.
Larry
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Sounds similar to my 500 iron barrel 500, that used to do 92mpg 'till I started changing to bigger jets, the new EFI Enfield should top 100mpg easy. An old Enfield WDCO 350 owned by a mate returns 120mpg.

Sluggy does up to 180mpg in commuting mode as most of this mileage is in heavy traffic, on the open road it's between 140-160.

The Tiger does 90mpg at the moment running mostly motorway at 70mph.

Some other petrol comparisons for you; Honda Innova EFI 163mpg average over 3200 miles (good friend with accurate records), BMW F800 returning 80mpg on mixed commuting. Earlier Carbie Innova returns 106mpg on a 50/50 mix motorway and city, it will top 70mph on occasion but mostly bimbles along at 65mph
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

which of those in here would be recording in imperial Gallons?
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Basically all the Brits, so I'll include Larry even though he's resident in France.

If your distances are in Km then usually fuel consumption would be stated as Litres per 100km
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

My bike is an ex Brit bike so has an Mph speedo/odo. I just keep a record of fuel bought and miles run.. think 4.54 litres to the gallon ( Imp). Leastwise , that is whats programmed into the spreadsheet.
An odd thing, since dec, the bike is running super smooth and quiet, not doubt due to the cold weather.
Larry
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Diesel Dave wrote:Basically all the Brits, so I'll include Larry even though he's resident in France.

If your distances are in Km then usually fuel consumption would be stated as Litres per 100km
Metric is obvious.. who is Imperial Gal and who is standard Gal... is what I dont know. Besides my own country, not sure which countries use standard and which use Imperial.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Most of the world has gone metric, even in the UK ALL fuels, foods etc are sold in the litre/Kg it's just that we never adopted the Kilometer as a distance measure so all the roadsigns are in miles.

Makes sense therefore that we would not use the litres per 100km measure.

Around the globe, the imperial gallon would be used wherever the British Empire once stood and that includes Canada before metrication, Australia, Africa etc etc.

There's a nice pricing chart at the bottom of this wiki page, it shows prices and what measures are applied in each country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_a ... nd_pricing

Fuel really should be sold by weight as this is the important measure - just ask any pilot. They used to have little calculation wheels that had fuel volume (Galls, short galls and litres) and then ambient temperature and weight. After all you would not want to run out halfway over the atlantic or pacific ocean.
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Nice link Dave I always thought we paid the most, but a lot of Europe is similar. As for Imperial gal & standard gal I think you will find its called US gal. If you think our units are funny I worked in the oilfield for 10 years mostly American, they measure in feet but the oilfield foot has 10".
Sam
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

sbrumby wrote:Nice link Dave I always thought we paid the most, but a lot of Europe is similar. As for Imperial gal & standard gal I think you will find its called US gal. If you think our units are funny I worked in the oilfield for 10 years mostly American, they measure in feet but the oilfield foot has 10".
Hah! a metric foot :)

Did you know in France they passed a law forbidding the division of the metre into 3 metric feet (Pieds) :) Is funny because they still sell wine by the dozen bottles in a carton. Note (12 bottles = 2 gallons). Often they get around it by selling 10 with two free.

In France, as in the UK fuel is usually cheaper in supermarkets than dedicated fuel stations ( especially on motorways).
Larry
Anorak_ian

Re:

Post by Anorak_ian »

MODERATOR NOTE OF ERROR. See newly released info. from Anorak_ian. Can be found a few post below.
Stuart wrote:As far as MPG figures go my Hatz 350cc will do about 165mpg and I figure the Rugg 850cc will do in the region of 90. I'd be interested to know of other mpg figure relating to the Ruggerini twins :wink:
I'm getting around 85 to 90mpg, rpm 1700 to 2000, and loads of steep hills over the moors, loads of stops and starts.
I'll do a measured amount soon keeping her at 2200rpm (best fuel curve) on mostly straight roads, should get around 53mph.
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

Damn, these figures are really rubbing in how bad my bike is for economy :S

I havent got a diesel bike yet, so I only have my petrol steed, which is a Honda VTR1000 Firestorm...

I enjoy going fast, accelerating and the sound of the bike too much :P (Thats my excuse :D)

Currently I am averaging 30mpg.

If I get particularly engrossed in the riding (with nice twisty and clear roads) I normally get 27mpg :O

I definately need to build a diesel bike :P

Even with a car engine I would get 60mpg :D
Anorak_ian

Re: Re:

Post by Anorak_ian »

Anorak_ian wrote:
Stuart wrote:As far as MPG figures go my Hatz 350cc will do about 165mpg and I figure the Rugg 850cc will do in the region of 90. I'd be interested to know of other mpg figure relating to the Ruggerini twins :wink:
I'm getting around 85 to 90mpg, rpm 1700 to 2000, and loads of steep hills over the moors, loads of stops and starts.
I'll do a measured amount soon keeping her at 2200rpm (best fuel curve) on mostly straight roads, should get around 53mph.
Well today I rode the bike until the fuel tank was totally empty. Well what a surprise, it wasn't a two gallon but 1.61 (7.35litres) so it looks like my guess of 90mpg may be way off. :D
My speedo was ridiculously inaccurate also. :(
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Well I'm totally blown away; at 2300rpm (58mph) the bike is getting 136.38 mpg. :D :D :D
Or, 30 miles per litre, 48.27 kilometers per litre.
That was very unexpected but very welcome :D

Obviously the mpg will be less at higher revs, I'm now hoping for around 120mpg at 70mph. :D
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Anorak_ian wrote:Well I'm totally blown away; at 2300rpm (58mph) the bike is getting 136.38 mpg. :D :D :D
Or, 30 miles per litre, 48.27 kilometers per litre.
That was very unexpected but very welcome :D

Obviously the mpg will be less at higher revs, I'm now hoping for around 120mpg at 70mph. :D
remind use please

. Ruggerini twin 850cc engine ?
. What is base Bike?
. Imperial Gal or?
. sprocket's tooth counts? (oem or not?)
. drive Wheel size (oem or not? )
. Tranny used?
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Read all about it here: http://www.dieselbiker.co.uk/

There, I saved Ian some typing.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
DieselDan
Been here a while now..

Post by DieselDan »

Hello all

Consumption figures for my 418cc Yanclone Enfield. Motor has only done 700km, nearly run in.

I'm getting

55.18 km/l

Converted to

1.81 l/100km

156.61mpg (British)

130.38mpg (US)

This is city/hwy work

I'm very happy with the results:D Especially filling up at the servo you get funny looks and questions from people :)

I wonder if its possible to get to 1 l/100km with a suitable fairing going about 80kmh (50mph)?

Dan
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

There is Allert that created a fairing for a Honda ANF 125 that's doing 94km/l. Perhaps you can crank your mileage up a bit, but I think making a fairing takes a bit of work to perfect.

http://www.velomobiel.nl/allert/
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
DieselDan
Been here a while now..

Post by DieselDan »

Hey Sphere

Some really good work there and damn good consumption figures. I'm not a big fan of petrol though.

I agree now, the fairing is plenty of work.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

I have just ran my tank dry going to the bulldog bash doing a steady 85,
now I'm back home I've done the figures and it's 75.5mpg.

So 58=136mpg, 85=75.5mpg :)
John

Post by John »

Diesel Dave wrote:Sounds similar to my 500 iron barrel 500, that used to do 92mpg 'till I started changing to bigger jets, the new EFI Enfield should top 100mpg easy. An old Enfield WDCO 350 owned by a mate returns 120mpg....

Hi Dave. I used to have a 1300 Suzuki Hayabusa that could average 62 mpg (imperial) cruising at 55- 60 mph. Even at 70 mph it could average 55 mpg. I was more impressed by that that its monstrous performance! (I've always been different! :lol: )
A high performance engine is generally a more efficient one relatively, partly due to the very high compression/expansion ratios involved. Now what engine has REALLY high compression ratios?? I actually ended up selling the 'busa' to buy my Enfield diesel! (for different, read strange! :) ) I've swopped one bike potentially capable of the 'double ton' for another.. One mph, the other mpg! :D
John.
UnclearFizzyCyst
I don't post much...

Post by UnclearFizzyCyst »

I knew someone with a 'modified' Kawasaki 750 triple in the mid 70's. He fuelled up at Leicester Forest East and ran out before reaching next northbound services! We figured about 6mpg, but wheelies at 90 without slipping the clutch sort of made up for it!
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

It's my thought that I have to run my bike on veg for it to be worth it. Especially if a scooter that is faster is doing 163mpg!!! The problem is that the yanclones, being direct injection, can't run on straight veg.

They can run on bio, but that is expensive to produce
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

Well I have finally done a measurement that didn't make me want to pack it up and use my car. (A 1.2 triple turbo diesel)

1l:28km 66mpg(us) 77mpg (uk) 3.5liter/100km

Noting that the official amount was based on the fixed gearbox, and the c.v.t. adds a 10 to 30% loss on it. I think I am getting pretty close to ideal with this bike.

So that's the 800cdi from Mercedes with a Trailbloc and Invance LV from CV-tech running the cagiva mana belt, and a 3.0 ratio wheel hub and 17 inch wheel. This run was 60% economy, 30% normal and 10% flat out use on the highway doing 90mph + (150km/hr+)
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I have been tracking my fuel economy from day one, figures here:

I assume my lower numbers than most is due to my mostly 100% town riding, and use of Veg instead of diesel
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

alexanderfoti wrote:I have been tracking my fuel economy from day one, figures here:......

I assume my lower numbers than most is due to my mostly 100% town riding, and use of Veg instead of diesel
What percent of the RUG you use is alcohol?