Study of Hatz IB40 on diesel biodiesel rapeseed n sunflower

Usage, MPG, Pricing, Bio-Diesel, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Darren
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Study of Hatz IB40 on diesel biodiesel rapeseed n sunflower

Post by Darren »

Just read a reference to this study that apparently used an IB40 engine.

If anyone gets hold of it I'd be interested in its contents.....

Influence of Rme and Vegetable Oils on Exhaust Gas and Noise Emissions of Small Industrial Diesel Engines

http://www.aerospaceengineeringmagazine ... 04-32-0070

Best

Darren
Enfield Bullet with Hatz IB30
See my sites for veg oil fuel info
www.vegburner.co.uk
www.wiki.obed.org.uk - Open Biofuel Engine Development wiki
Darren

Post by Darren »

This is a translation of a reference to this testing

"SPESSERT et al. (2004) [ 39 ] examined the influence of different fuels, among them rapeseel oil (RSO) and sonnenblumenoel (SFO) on the noise and waste gas emissions of a cylinder August diesel engines with mechanical pump line nozzle injection system in a research project of the FH Jena. The directly injecting Hatz industrial engines (0.5 to 0.7 l capacity; 5,9 to 11.0 KW of achievement) for the enterprise with vegetable oil was not reequipped. Nevertheless no disturbances were to be registered also after probebetrieb lasting several hours. The results show that at low loads and numbers of revolutions the vegetable oils lead to a later, at high loads and numbers of revolutions to an earlier beginning of injecting. From this a "more softer" results, "slower" burn at low numbers of revolutions with smaller noise and NOx emissions however with higher Carbon monoxide and particle mass emissions and/or a "harder" "faster" burn with high loads and numbers of revolutions with smaller Carbon monoxide and particle emissions in addition, higher noise and NOx emissions (illustration 16). The emission of gaseous hydrocarbons and the odor emissions are with vegetable oil enterprise more highly than with Diesel fuel enterprise. A modification of the engines for the vegetable oil enterprise is absolutely necessary therefore. A comparison between sunflower and rapeseel oil enterprise shows almost continuous with all emission components (CO, NOx, HC, particle mass) and load stages slight advantages with the employment of rapeseel oil."
www.vegburner.co.uk
jeremy
Been here a while now..

1B40 on SVO

Post by jeremy »

9see below)
Last edited by jeremy on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's amazing how long things take when you're not working on them..." (unknown)
--Building small, lightweight Clubman-style bike, based on 1972 Husquvarna/Hatz 1B30/Comet 500CVT--
jeremy
Been here a while now..

1B40 on SVO

Post by jeremy »

For anybody thinking of running alternative fuels (like myself), I spoke to the Hatz-US engineer about running boidiesel in a 1B30, and he strongly advised against it due to the delicate nature of the injector pump. He cautioned not more than 5% blended with diesel. I can't imagine that 10% would change the viscosity enough to harm it, plus the lubricity of the bio is higher than the petro. Who's been doing it long enough to find out the consequences? I've heard VW does not recommend using bio in their TDI's due to testing showing accelerated wear at over 100K miles...true or false? Also, the name "biodiesel" suggests the successful processing-out of the gummy glycerides, leaving a much thinner and more stable product. Based on a neighbor's in-depth experience with processing his own, there may be a wide spectrum of "finished" product out there, un-tested for purity, not all of which will be fully reacted, stripped of its gum, properly water-washed and/or cleaned of its excess lye (a very corrosive material to be running through an engine). So beware of small-time producers with great intentions but unscientific approaches!
"It's amazing how long things take when you're not working on them..." (unknown)
--Building small, lightweight Clubman-style bike, based on 1972 Husquvarna/Hatz 1B30/Comet 500CVT--
Darren

Post by Darren »

Jeremy,

The low blend biofuels statement is a standard manufacturer position. Its understandable that they don't want to approve use of what can be very variable fuels. As you point out one persons biodiesel can be anothers oily mess....

My above post should not be taken as a recommendation to run a Hatz on biofuels. From what I understand of the study this was not an endurance test.

I do however think that these engines can run biofuels. I've used properly made biodiesel without any problems - other than the filter blocking due to the biodiesel lifting gunk out of my dirty tank.

I would also use vegetable oil with a twin tank system. Start and run on diesel for a few minutes then switch to heated vegetable oil.

Heating the vegetable oil on an air cooled engine, without overheating it, requires some crafty design work....

Best

Darren
www.vegburner.co.uk
Darren

Post by Darren »

The injection pump on the Hatz is a standard jerk pump design. This type of pump is probably one of the most durable and such pumps have proven to be reliable on a wide range of biofuels.

I would advise anyone who wants to run biofuels to do their research. It takes a bit of time to understand the issues properly. Some sources that look very credible definitely are not, so use multiple sources. There is a lot of both good and bad information out there

Bad can be at the one extreme 'don't even consider using it, it will kill your engine' to 'chuck used cooking oil through an old dish cloth, pour it in your tank and drive'.

Best

Darren
www.vegburner.co.uk
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

With these engines, it is probably a good thing to add about 10% vegetable oil ( providing it is not subjected to enough cold to separate out) It will reduce low speed knocking. I dont know how much more dilution of fossil diesel will be advantageous.
Larry