Summmer ‘Sommer’ Tour

Talk about riding, events, meets, rally's, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Summmer ‘Sommer’ Tour

Post by Diesel Dave »

Last years Euro-Tour was a very enjoyable, we had everything from 40 degree sunshine to hailstones the size of marbles, from mountains to the Low Countries; and we even took in Yochen Sommers little dieselbike treffen too.

Looking outside at the first snow of the year spurs me into thinking of what this summer could bring.

The new bike should be ‘proven reliable’, by this time (I’ve only covered 500 miles so far and I need to swap to a bigger radiator).

I’m possibly thinking of a grand circular route around France and taking a quick climb to Andorra and Spain before heading east across the bottom of France to,get to the Gaschney classic hill climb event and on to the Sommer rally. It might also skip the first boring bit by taking the Portsmouth-Santander ferry to start in Spain.

So if anyone wants to join in for any part, please feel free to get in touch.
Tetronator
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Summmer ‘Sommer’ Tour

Post by Tetronator »

Very interested Dave, maybe even from the very start! :mrgreen:
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

You know it's getting close because...

1) Clutch cable broke yesterday
2) Gearbox has started leaking oil (again)
3) The old 7 quid Tesco tent broke last weekend at the Kent Royal Enfield bash
4) The Euro rate has just plummeted
5) Lidl finally gets camping chairs in stock
6) The new tent doesn't fit in the luggage
7) P&O website refuses your booking repeatedly and when you choose 'Premier' for a laugh it accepts it first time.....
8) Discovering your bank has cancelled your credit card because it hasn't been used in over 6 months
9) Bank has sent a new debit card - no idea if this one will work with French fuel pumps (took a long fight to get the last one)
10) Can't find the bike documents anywhere (probably still in the tank bag from last year)

Ho Hum; there are worse problems to have.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Better have it now than on the trip.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Add today’s events...

Clutch adjuster fell off (luckily inside the casing but it did mean riding through the Dartford tunnel without a clutch in stop start traffic)

Also a tank mounting nut fell off just to add to the chaos, (what the heck is that noise.... oh I get it). Ofcourse I didn’t have a spare so had to make an M10 replacement but now sports a nylock)
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I will pack the Loctite then :wink:

Jeff riding out on the 7th via Newhaven to meet up ahead of Gaschney :D

I’m on the ferry tonight & heading for Épernay for Tuesday eve meet up.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

And so it begins.

Luckily I’ve also been sh*t on by a seagull.... :?
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

We have arrived at Gaschney after doing Jockens Treffen, the Eagles Nest, Großglockner & Stelvio Passes back to back :D
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

All home safe and sound

Alex took this of me arriving at the top of the Grossglockner

https://youtu.be/r7Ae4z_KMuI
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Diesel Dave’s Euro tour 2019 short version

The plan was simple, load up the bike, fill the tank with diesel and head for the continent. Catch the dieselbike rally in Bavaria, visit the ‘Eagles Nest’ (Hitlers mountain top retreat);roll over the Großglockner and Stelvio passes and catch the classic hillclimb event as Gaschney before heading back for home.

Heading out on the 2nd July and an easy 70 odd miles to Dover to catch the 06:10 ferry, (yes it was a very early start). Suffer the free coffee in the premier lounge away from the riff-raff thanks to the use of Tesco vouchers and their 3x purchasing power.

Off at Calais and an easy 200 miles of winding roads French countryside to a campsite in Epernay where Stu (NC700), is already set up having taken a night boat from Newhaven. An evening spent catching up on each other’s news with a few beers thrown in for good measure.

Next day we head for Germany and check in at a tiny campsite in the Black Forrest we have used before - here we meet Alex the mad Dutchman (600 Honda Shadow). We get eaten by mosquitoes and retire to mesh guarded tent interiors early.

The next day we arrive at Bergen for the dieselbike Rally, an easy 190 miles of winding roads and as the first to arrive we have first pickings of pitches for camping. The event was a chance to catch up with old friends and meet some new ones, Alex did attempt to out-drink the local Fire Brigade and it was declared a draw although he was none to chipper the following day.

We stay for a few days then head off on Sunday to Berchtesgaden, as the following day we wanted to see Hitlers ‘Eagles Nest’ retreat. It’s a bus ride to the top (not a cheap one either), followed by a lift then steps. What a swizz, the original building had been blown up by the RAF and it was in the clouds so couldn’t see a thing. After an hour we descended and rode to a campsite across the Austrian border at Zell Am See.

Tuesday - time to start conquering the passes. The Großglockner is I believe the highest paved pass in Europe, it certainly felt that way and the diesel Enfield smoked it way to the top bathed in clouds and a full 360 degree view of.....the inside of a cloud. Be aware if you choose to do this ride it costs over 26 Euro for the entry fee. We descend and make our way to Italy for the start of the Stelvio Pass and find a campsite just at the foot so we have a full day’s riding tomorrow.

Weds and the Stelvio beckons and at last the clouds dissipate so we climb in glorious sunshine to the summit where the snow remains all year long. A swift coffee and a chance to buy some tourist tat at the top and we then descend on the not so sunny side where the temperature is decidedly cooler. A stop off to see the glacier only demonstrates how much global warming has impacted the environment - there is very little left. We crossed into Switzerland via the longest and coldest tunnel I have ever experienced, through Zurich at evening rush hour and 35 degree heat.

Just before exiting Switzerland the front tyre blew out and I hit the deck hard; the left footpeg snapped off and I cracked a rib landing on it, my Kevlar jeans saved my bacon but I still had a bruise running from hip to knee and a busted visor on my helmet. With help from locals and my riding buddies the bike was dragged off the road; the tyre fixed and a tyre lever zip-tied in place as a temporary footpeg. At this point Alex suggested it would be best to head directly for our weekend destination even though it was over 100 miles away. Knowing that although I was in pain, it would be a lot worse the following day, and the thought of needing to pack up tent and camping gear and then ride would be impossible to do.

We arrived late, after 10pm, but the weather was fine and we managed to set up in the dry in a choice position as we were the first to arrive. We then spent the next 4 days without needing to use the bikes apart from the odd shopping trip so I had time to rest and heal. We are joined by Andre with his Enfield Centaurus diesel, Jeff with the Ruggerfield (950cc Ruggerini powered Enfield, and the Swiss contingent of Pascal and Rudy riding Sommer Hatz powered diesel Enfields. Andre brings a new footpeg and even fits it for me; Rudy brings a new visor for my helmet and so my birthday passes and I grow a year older overnight.

The racing is a great spectator sport, you need to choose your position on the track carefully and ours was a prime position on the final hairpin. We have our very own dieselbike entry and Andre managed a couple of practice runs in the dry on Saturday. Sunday proved to be very wet and we saw the serious contenders pushing very hard on full wet tyres and coming into the pits shaking heads and hands.

Monday we pack up camp and have our last group breakfast of cheese omelettes at the restaurant, we say goodbye to our Swiss, Dutch and German friends and the 3 Brits head for home. We take it easy and find a perfect little village campsite in Autry and even spot a Beaver (no sniggering at the back) in a field next to the river.

The following day we reach Peronne and after buying half the supermarket we settle down for the evening the lads head into town for beer and atmosphere, I’m still a bit to damaged to join in and so spend the time quietly catching up on my audiobooks.

Weds dawns bright and allows the tent to dry off before packing up, I head for Calais and manage to catch an earlier boat than planned. The M20 however is a disgrace and so I arrive home hot and frustrated, I turn off the bike and Brenda presents me with a very welcome cup of tea; home safe.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

-

Great stuff Dave. Thank you!
Ron
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Enjoyed that, thanks! I was glad not to suffer a puncture on my recent hols, and not only to avoid falling off; I took levers, pump and a spare tube but I really need a trolley jack and a big block of wood to get a wheel off, and doing it on the move would be really difficult. Well done for keeping going!
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Personally I'd be looking at getting a centre stand fitted as it hold the rear wheel off the ground.
Did the brackets get removed when the frame was stretched? Only other option is to take off your luggage and lay the bike down on a verge ?
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Slow reply, been away! c-stand lugs are still on, but now the thing is longer and heavier they're no use for anything. But my luggage is really robust and would cope with being laid-on - thanks for that idea of lying it down. If I could find a tall sloped verge with a 6" drop to the road, that'd work very nicely I think. And lying it on a pile of something might work if such a verge was not available. Onward!
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Just watch the battery/fuel if laying down. If you have a sealed battery no problem lol