CVT for first build

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Brainsparks30
I don't post much...

CVT for first build

Post by Brainsparks30 »

I am looking a for a cvt setup to pair with a Yanclone engine. I saw some clone cvt on Gemini carts ebay shop. Are they up to the job? Does it need or already have a clutch?

And whats the name of that part transmitting power between the cvt and the the front sprocket (a layshaft?) I see on some builds?
Please can someone make some suggestions?
gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: CVT for first build

Post by gilburton »

There is plenty of info on the cvt threads.
Basically in the UK CV tech units are easy to get hold of as they are fitted to the small French microcars eg Aixam.
In the US Comet units are easier to get and the larger ones will handle a diesel engine.
Gemini Karts sell them both but you'll need to tell them the application so that they can fit the appropriate springs/weights to suit a slower revving diesel.
The Aixam diesel would be the way to go. They are a bit bulky though so a lot depends on what bike and the room available you have.
This is why a lot of people go for a complete Aixam(kubota twin) diesel engine complete with cvt transmission.
Yes the rear pulley needs a layshaft. Usually you just run it in 2 pillow block bearings. This also mounts the sprocket and has the advantage that the drive sprocket can go on the left like most bikes or on the right as in my MZ.
Bear in mind both cvt pulleys have to be at a set distance apart so this dictates engine placement/alignment.
Every build is different depending on donor bike, engine, manual or cvt so you won't get any actual measurements/designs.
I have always thought that cruiser/chop style bikes might be the best because you generally have a longish frame to play with.
Anything can be done with money but if you can cut/grind/weld that will do as it's mostly quite agricultural rather than machine shop lol