PricePart Machine Appraisal.

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

Hi,

Can anyone here give me a review of a Parts Price 486cc Diesel RE conversion!
I'm tempted on splashing out, but is it good for cruising at our (UK) truck speeds minimum? I can see the mpg benefit on long and middle distance touring, but I really want to keep up with our traffic and get to the other end in a reasonable time! Enjoying the plodding about on back roads ect, at the other end is good, its just how long to get there I'm thinking of!

Regards from Sunny Kent (UK)... 8)
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Parts Price machine appraisal.

Post by sbrumby »

Cant tell you exactly what you want to know, because I have never driven the enfield conversion. But been driving diesels for 10 years. The engine in the priceparts is 456 not 486 and I would take 13hp with a pinch of salt. That said most people driving on normal roads do 50mph, I know this because my big bike vibrates most at this speed. Trucks are limited to 40mph on normal roads and 56mph on motorways. I see you are based in Kent, how much time will you need to spend on motorways ? and how much of that time is the motorway actually going faster than that or for that matter going at all ? If you like zooming about on a jap road legal racing machine that is one thing but at fast speeds you get an adrenalin rush but you don't see the countryside or scenery. All you see is brake lights and maybe overtaking opportunities. So if you like speed and power you will be disappointed, but if you like riding a motorcycle, using it for shopping with panniers, only filling with fuel occasionally as apposed to most bikes 100m range. Then you will enjoy the experience.
Sam
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Just an update on truck speeds. They are now allowed to do 50mph on all roads and technically they can do 60 mph on motorways and dual carriageways but are actually limited to 56mph as said.
One tip from an ex driver of 35yrs is to stick at 50 mph on motorways and dual carriageways.
The reason for this is as they are limited to 56 mph that is the speed they will do although some are actually limited to 50/52mph by the operators for fuel economy.
If you stick at 50 they will be able to get past but if you are floating around at 55 you will just be in the way on motorways/dual carriageways.
I did read a few years ago that the larger engine was breaking cranks but that may have been a one off or has been sorted by now.
If it will do an honest 60 you should have no problem but will have to accept planning an overtake just as you would on a 350 Enfield.
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I stand corrected on the speed of trucks on normal roads I hadn't noticed they had altered the limit, interestingly not in Scotland.
Sam
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

Thanks for the comments and advice.
I'm undecided on this route, cost, and little value being a factor.
The 'homegrown' conversions I've seen are where it's at, especially the bikes with larger engines and higher cruising speeds. Just a case of getting a project started.
I wonder too if diesel bikes will be banned in the future! :roll:
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gilburton

Re: PartsPrice machine appraisal.

Post by gilburton »

Plenty of info on the site re building your own.
First thing would be to obtain an engine and decide on manual or cvt.
Measure it all up and then search for a bike/frame that will take it. There will be a lot of things to make up so you will need some engineering experience to get it all together.
It's not the big stuff like mounting the engine it tends to be the small brackets etc. and working out solutions to problems.
Manufacturers don't just turn bikes out overnight.
As for the Price Parts conversion you can DIY as they will sell you all the bits and will also convert your own frame. On their own conversions they go over the complete bike and replace parts so that it is essentially new hence the price. They hold their values well.
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

Pleased to report that I am now a Diesel convert!
I did a deal with Henry on Monday 06th Nov, and collected my ride on Saturday 11th from his workshop/home. A real nice chap, told me whats what and I was happy to ride away. And three and a half hour later I was back home, after a non-stop, 277km, 55mph wet ride, all the way back to Kent. Overall, I'm very impressed.
My machine has the 456cc WinSun E/Start engine. Tops out at 90kph on the 3500 rpm limit.
Today, having been out twice more this weekend, I've topped the tank for the first time since leaving Gloucs. 8 litres in 400km = 139mpg! "Happy" :D :)
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Very nice put some pics up and your thoughts on the bike when you have ridden it a bit more also If you have any problems etc.
You could be one of the few to give a review??
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

You could be one of the few to give a review??[/quote]

Thanks.
I need the link/tutorial here to put pics up. Out of touch :( It's on the Facebook Dieselbike.net site though. :D
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

Success. The sharing link to flickr works. I recommend more people use flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alearound ... res/n24u22
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

When you press "post reply" go down and beneath the reply box is an option box and to the right click on "upload attachment".
It will open up and click "browse". This will then allow you to find the file you want to upload on your computer. Click the file and it will appear in the box and then click on "add the file" and it should appear in your reply then submit.

You want to fit the larger "standard" tank and you could probably go for weeks without filling up or go on a long tour lol
It should fit straight on.
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

Indeed. Certainly is a rare visitor to the pumps!
I think I recall Henry telling me, that this has a Lightning/Thunderbird 16litre tank fitted.
Out and about in all weathers recently, and going well. (Success this time. Pics ok.).

Happy New Year to One & All.
Attachments
My RE Diesel
My RE Diesel
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

My RE Diesel. Day it was collected from Price Parts. 11th November. Clean!
Attachments
My RE Diesel
My RE Diesel
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

My RE Diesel.
Attachments
My RE Diesel
My RE Diesel
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coachgeo

Re: PriceParts machine appraisal.

Post by coachgeo »

Looking awesome
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

coachgeo wrote:Looking awesome
Thanks.
Hope to do some decent mileage in 2018.
A large, 50 litre rear box and some side panniers rails will be fitted in the new year, for touring and extra load-lugging capacity.
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

On your first post you were worried about the top speed and getting in the way of trucks. Has that proved ok??
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

gilburton wrote:On your first post you were worried about the top speed and getting in the way of trucks. Has that proved ok??
Indeed I was a bit concerned, but I'm 'pleasantly surprised' so far!
It has been set up by Henry to sit there all day at 90kph (55mph) @3500 rpm.
Pulls well between peak power @3000rpm and the max.
18t gearbox sprocket fitted.
Most trucks sail past, so I guess the true speed of the bike is nearer 53+/-. The only trucks I pass are Tesco trucks! But it will overtake really slow trucks on hills in 3rd gear, but I'm always wary of what's behind anyway, as forward planning is a must before pulling out.
I guess this 456cc version is a lot better than the older 406cc. No qualms about going anywhere now. The max speed is acceptable.
Electric start and decompressor work well, even at sub-zero temp's before Xmas, usually firing on second 'spin'. I've not attempted to kick-start it yet, but will try and suss this out. (I read the article on getting the extra 1/2 revolution on the crank and how it makes a difference).
Last run was Boxing Day, no go since then.
Indian parts 'quality' showing itself, with the front brake light switch having failed and front brake lever bracket has fractured, whilst undoing the pinch bolt! Parts in the post.
Otherwise, enjoying the ride....

Alan
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

At least parts for the Enfield are widely available at reasonable prices lol
Yeah Tesco/ Morrisons and some others limit their trucks lower than the legally required speed for fuel economy and safety.
I suspect your actual speed is nearer 50 mph if trucks are easily passing you. Only way to prove it is a Sat Nav or phone app.
Easy enough to play around with sprockets but 50+ mph is fine.
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

gilburton wrote: Easy enough to play around with sprockets but 50+ mph is fine.
I didn't think it could pull the 18t sprocket, but it does it well. There is a distinct 'surge' on this engine, from the 3000rpm peak to 3500rpm max power, really flies in that range.
I guess too that the mechanical speedo is over reading by possibly up to 10%. Will try and check this, as you say, with the mobile.
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Re: PricePart Machine Appraisal.

Post by Invictaview »

Out and about on Sunday. Had to laugh, I went to tank up in Bexleyheath and the cashier in the shop ushered me over, "that is Diesel, you have the wrong pump". I said, yes, I know, that's what I want. Always a first time! :) :D
Attachments
shell-v-power.jpg
shell-v-power.jpg (10.05 KiB) Viewed 37197 times
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

On my run last Sunday, I was using Shell V Power for the first time, as recommended by a Diesel fitter I met on Boxing Day. Supposed to be well proven as the best pumped diesel out there, a little pricey though. (I paid over £1.35 per litre for this fill). Time will tell on any improvements, fuel consumption, oil condition, emissions.
I found recently too an additive called Comma Diesel Magic, which had some positive reviews for it. Specifically for older generation diesel engines, I will try some of this out at some stage too. Many seem to use it at pre-m.o.t time, to reduce emissions with a cleaning effect on the injectors ect. :) :D
Attachments
COMMA x4.jpg
Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

Looking good on Sunday in Sunny Dover. 8)
Attachments
20180114_141624.jpg
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

Good morning.

Been a while, but I did visit the Cafe on the Big Knock Run this year, and met and talked to many of the well known Diesel riders there.
My Thunderbird/PriceParts machine, is still going well, well over 10k on the clock now and getting consistent mpg of 145+ flat out.
I'm based in Kent, and would like to meet, or converse with someone who has put a Kubota twin into an RE.
Any leads or contacts would be appreciated.
I have a spare RE 500 bike that could become a diesel project!
One quick question; Is the Kubota Z482 an option for conversion? One, perfect order for £680 on the Bay is of interest to me.

Regards from Kent
Alan
:)
Attachments
Ralph from Germany @ the VMCC International West Kent Run 2019. Original Indian built Diesel, early 90's. Ralph bought this nearly new. He visits Hamm but did not know about the Big Knock or Dieselbike.net.
Ralph from Germany @ the VMCC International West Kent Run 2019. Original Indian built Diesel, early 90's. Ralph bought this nearly new. He visits Hamm but did not know about the Big Knock or Dieselbike.net.
First 10k!
First 10k!
Out & About. Folkestone.
Out & About. Folkestone.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

If you can venture north of the Thames then take a look at mine.

I’m in Brentwood so J29 of the M25.

PM me if interested.