Diesel Dave's Tiger update.

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

touchwoodsden
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Diesel Dave's Tiger update.

Post by touchwoodsden »

I recently bought the Triumph Tiger from Diesel Dave. I must say, I am really pleased with it.

I did have a problem with the gears, or so it seemed. They were all jammed up and wouldn’t change, or so it seemed. So out came the spanners and off came the whole of the primary side drive, clutch, drive belts, the lot. It was interesting, because I haven’t got a clue what I was looking at. It gave me the opportunity to alter a few engineering bits and also to tighten up the gear lever and linkage which was a bit slack on the splines. But eventually I did have neutral and the gears were now working again, or so it seemed.

So I re-assembled it all and set off for MOT and lo and behold the same problem manifested itself, it was stuck in top gear, or so it seemed.

Or at least, it would have been stuck in top gear if I hadn’t realised that the gears worked the other way up and instead of pressing on the gear lever to go into first, I was pressing on the gear lever and going into top and trying to start in top. DOH.

Note to self: the obvious solution is sometimes the simplest solution and is sometimes the correct solution or so it seems.

It did give me the opportunity however to have a little mooch around the mechanics which was interesting.

On a different note:

I went along to my local bike meet tonight, just for an hour. One of the guys there commented on how rough my bike (the Tiger) sounded. He is very “knowledgeable” (!) about motorcycles (not the aesthetics of Triumph Tigers-obviously!) and he definitely thought that it had run a big end.

So he had a good look at the engine and asked me to start it and he held his hand against the engine said that it was definitely a big end. I think it must have been the Big Knock!

Another guy who was there who realised what it was, was laughing and told me to put “Mr Expert” out of his misery. I declined and let Mr Expert wonder how long it was going to be before my Tiger threw a rod out of the bottom of the crankcase.

Another chap asked how and why I had fitted a Harley gearbox into a Tiger.

Another why the exhaust had been moved from the sides of the seat.

Yet another asked why I had a custom exhaust and why I hadnt finished it

I was smiling all night. I never get that on Frankenbrick because although to me it sounds diesel and looks diesel, to the casual observer, it is just a rough petrol engine. It doesnt have The Big Knock.
Merc Estate
BRA CX 3
2 CV Dolly
2 x 250 MZs
1 x 125 4 stroke MZ
2 x 301 MZ
1 x Enfield Himalayan
1x Monkey bike
1 x Honda CT125
1 x Campervan Vivaro
1 x MZ Es250/1 and sidecar
1 x Cat
2 x Parrots
coachgeo

Re: Diesel Dave's Tiger update.

Post by coachgeo »

Well guess it's a tie lol..... so far it is "Experts" have a -1 for the "big end" knock issue..... but you got -1 for the misunderstanding of the shift pattern lol . Get the feeling you'll end up way ahead in points over time though. Granted..... you might be one point ahead already..... cause you got a +1 for having a diesel bike in the first place. So that makes it Zero for you and -1 for the Experts.

Maybe put hash marks on the tank like old Fighter Plane Kill marks. Dumb questions/comments/ridiculous expert opinions on one side and your own goofs on the other. :lol:
touchwoodsden

Post by touchwoodsden »

coachgeo wrote:

Maybe put hash marks on the tank like old Fighter Plane Kill marks. Dumb questions/comments/ridiculous expert opinions on one side and your own goofs on the other. :lol:
Brilliant idea
Merc Estate
BRA CX 3
2 CV Dolly
2 x 250 MZs
1 x 125 4 stroke MZ
2 x 301 MZ
1 x Enfield Himalayan
1x Monkey bike
1 x Honda CT125
1 x Campervan Vivaro
1 x MZ Es250/1 and sidecar
1 x Cat
2 x Parrots
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

The big question is do you prefer the Tiger or the K100? lol
touchwoodsden

Post by touchwoodsden »

gilburton wrote:The big question is do you prefer the Tiger or the K100? lol
Difficult one.
K is faster and smoother and more comfortable (engine is not so wide) but more complicated especially electronically. Gearing cant be changed. Looks old fashioned.
Tiger is more "diesel" and much slower although I have not top ended either.
Fuel used is about the same.
Clutch is nicer on the K.
K is lighter as its alloy engine.
I like the Tiger diesel knock.
If I had to sell one which would it be?
I would have to flip a coin
Merc Estate
BRA CX 3
2 CV Dolly
2 x 250 MZs
1 x 125 4 stroke MZ
2 x 301 MZ