Single Cylinder Diesels..... charging system

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Single Cylinder Diesels..... charging system

Post by coachgeo »

on these single cylinder diesel..... For example my 418cc... how much Amps and volts (assume 12v) is the typical output of the charging circuit. Is is AC or DC?
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Re: Single Cylinder Diesels..... charging system

Post by Diesel Dave »

You need to be cautious as there are quite a few different versions ranging from the tiddler 4 amp to the max 20 amp.

The most common is the 15 amp range giving you 180 watts max at 12v, but it drops off with revs.

I use the Phillips 'Scooter' H4 35/35 headlamp bulbs as they are much brighter then the bog standard versions and seem just as bright as a 55w.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Thanks David.

I'm going to have to measure the amps. I just got word from David Sparks (sparky) and he had upped the output of the Stator on this 418cc engine by rewrapping it with heavier wire. He forgets the final Amp output but remembers it was 22wraps on each.
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

I have a 5 amp on my bike. With all LED lighting it is just enough to cover consumption plus a little left over for charging the battery from glowplug depletion.
If you use a conventional headlight, you'll want 10amps minimum. If you use an electric starter you'll want 15-20amps to recharge the battery.

Just remember that you don't want to overspec your alternator. With permanent magnet alternators, any additional current production above whats needed to maintain 14.5v will just be dissipated as heat in the regulator, which is a waste of horsepower.
When I tried a 20amp on my 9.5hp engine, I really could notice a reduction in power on the top end.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D