California Emissions

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

svm_invictvs
I'm pretty new here..

California Emissions

Post by svm_invictvs »

Has anybody building a Diesel Bike know what I need to do to meet California emissions standards? From what I can tell if I buy a naked bike frame (ie kit bike) and then modify it for use with a diesel engine, I have to get it inspected as basically a homebuilt vehicle.

If I take a donor bike and re-power it with Diesel, does that mean I can just re-register it (assuming I can buy a clean title donor bike)?

In both cases I don't believe bikes need a smog check. Do I need to theoretically put a DPF on the bike?
Eddy Wane
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: California Emissions

Post by Eddy Wane »

Just done a bit of web surfing. The smog test may or may not apply in your case but according to the web if the engine you intend to use is "as manufactured" then any fitted smog control items must be used. If the engine does not have any then it can still be used and should get a title/licence as an age related item. SEMA and BAR have details about this on their sites.
Building the bike. Top of my list, bottom of the wife's.
svm_invictvs
I'm pretty new here..

Post by svm_invictvs »

Yeah, but that means I have to find a road-use diesel engine small enough. From what I understand, that would mean I just can't use, for example, the 1-Cyl Yanmar LE from eBay because its for stationary use.

What is SEMA and BAR?
Eddy Wane

Post by Eddy Wane »

Speciality Equipment Market Association - mainly for cars originally called the Speed Equipment Manufacturing Association.
BAR - Bureau of Automotive Repair (California).
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Don't think many(if any) automotive diesels were sold in California so using a car engine with or without smog controls probably doesn't apply.
Using an industrial diesel will probably be a no as well as they were never homolgated for road use and will never pass a test anyway.
Not sure about small lawn type tractors being road legal but I expect small diesels in California are quite rare anyway due to restrictive laws??
It's getting harder in Europe as well and at least the UK doesn't have any emission checks on motorcycles so compared to some countries it's easier.
Eddy Wane

Post by Eddy Wane »

Having read a bit of the DMV site (CA). I'm amazed that any vehicle can be put on the road. Even 50cc engines have to have a 50 state certification. There will be a legal, if slightly iffy, way of getting a diesel bike even a 49 state vehicle could be registered (a good read of the pages is required to find the right path to go down).
Good luck with your build and I feel certain there will be someone who has already succeeded. Perhaps a troll of the custom builders sites may be required.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

A long time member on this board Locomotivebreath https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/memb ... rofile&u=7 has built and licensed a number of diesel bikes in California. You can search on the board for his bikes or scroll down a ways in the link below for a look at some of his builds. Dave might have some insights as to the challenges of California.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/lsr21/supercharged.html
Ron
larkout
Been here a while now..

Post by larkout »

I have built a diesel bike from scratch and have it registered as a Special Construction vehicle in California, no where in the process is there an inspection of smog or emissions equipment. They want to see receipts/ proof or legal ownership for major components, as well as make sure it isn't just hacked from some other frame, and they will have you get a lamp inspection from a mechanic. No emissions check, no safety check. Its easy other than making 3 trips to the DMV.
Standard motorcycles are never smog inspected except i guess the manufacturer must be certified.
I did get a chinese gas scooter with no title registered as well, and they were looking all over that thing for labels and stickers. Re-registering with an engine swap might be similarly scrutinized.