another older Bantam 2 stroke conversion 1952

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

another older Bantam 2 stroke conversion 1952

Post by gilburton »

I couldn't lift it from the forum so here's the link.
If you scroll down you come to an article from Motor Cycling 1952. If anyone can separate it from the forum please do.
Reading the article I thought I recognised the name Taplin. Anyone who remembers the dim and distant past and model aircraft will probably know the ED range of engines?

http://www.bsabantamclub.com/forum/intr ... m-project/
gilburton

Re: another older Bantam 2 stroke conversion 1952

Post by gilburton »

Would a diesel 2 stroke require any extra oil in the fuel or is there enough in diesel fuel??
I know model engines had castor oil added.
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

The big GMC 2 stroker marine diesels have the same full pressure oiling system as a 4 stroke ! But they also use vlvs in the head for the exhaust and a roots blower for the scavenging psi !! I would be interested to know the oiling system for this conversion !!
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Chances are they used model fuel as they were model engine manufacturers.
I too would like to know as a 2 stroke might be an easier conversion. Just imagine a Kawasaki triple or a Suzuki GT750 :D
Even a completely new engine with 2 injectors per cylinder ( firing alternately) would be a much simpler design.
Early on in my truck driving career I sometimes drove a Commer truck with a 2 stroke diesel and compared with the 4 stroke diesels (Gardner etc) it was miles ahead in performance and comfort.
If a 2 stroke with injectors was made it would be just as clean as the oil system would be separate and the engine itself might lend itself better to motorcycles sizewise??
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

2 stroke diesels are just as dirty as gas engines. By nature, there is no way to fully evacuate the exhaust gas unless you waste some airbox pressure out the exhaust.
In the case of turbocharging, that means the airbox must be higher pressure than the exhaust manifold. That means either the turbo will be sized large and have poor response or the blower will need low bypass ratio to pump up the airbox pressure.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
Tamber
Been here a while now..

Post by Tamber »

UAofE wrote:By nature, there is no way to fully evacuate the exhaust gas unless you waste some airbox pressure out the exhaust.
But at least it wouldn't be carrying raw fuel out into the exhaust at the same time. (Would still be carrying some amount of oil mist, though, I'd imagine.)
Dreaming a dream, and scheming a scheme, of a diesel trike.