Down one cylinder

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Down one cylinder

Post by alexanderfoti »

I have been running the bike on diesel for the past 3000 miles or so, and it runs well. It has had a bit of a lazy cylinder, but when warm its not noticeable.

Anyway, chucked my wvo into it (5%petrol the rest 10 micron filtered wvo) and it ran ok, until I return to idle then it stalls.

anyway, long story short, one pot doesn't fire at idle with WVO, a small test tank confirms, pour in diesel, pot 1 comes alive, pour in WVO, pot 1 dies (cold downpipe).

It runs OK under load with WVO, but I still need to advance the timing, and obviously sort the issue with the non running cylinder.

Question is, is it likely to be the injector causing this, or the injection pump?

I'm thinking the injector, but cannot be sure... It runs a bosch style injection system, nearly identical to the Merc 300td (om 606) engine.
klondikekid
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Down one cylinder

Post by klondikekid »

Just a thought..to eliminate it, have you checked compression?
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

Completely different from the Mercedes system. Similar in outward appearance only.

WVO does not burn as cleanly as diesel, even more so when its not heated above 200*f before it reaches the injectors.
Compression is the most likely issue. WVO doesn't help in this case either thanks to the contamination gumming the cylinder rings.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I highly doubt running it on veg for 1 mile has gummed up the rings.

I ran my DI yanclone on veg for 3000 miles, with water injection, and that ran fine when I sold it!

I am removing the injector to check for spray pattern, as the previous owner had the heads removed, no evident wear in the bores etc.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I have not checked the compression though, as I do not have a compression tester (for diesels)
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Heres how it runs on WVO after getting it warm ish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwu_NKPe0II
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Tested compression. All good on 3 cylinders. (400+psi)

Advanced the timing 4.5 degrees. Bike starts ands runs without any issues now:
https://youtu.be/3YfFYmIbDxI
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

IMHO...... with that much WVO I would ALWAYS start with warmed fuel and engine. put a block heater in a freeze port and plug it up in advance. Use a coolant heat exchanger to warm fuel. That and along with tweaked timing to match the combustion characteristics of your blend and you will have YEARS of trouble free running. I'de still do a little water inject everyone once in awhile to clean her out. Too bad WVO is now nearly impossible to get here in the states.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I am planning on doing water injection like my old l100 too. Will also be doing it on my 300td.

Whats happened to the wvo market over there?
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

alexanderfoti wrote:....Whats happened to the wvo market over there?
oh it is THRIVING.... so much so that an individual can't get wvo. Corporations have it all tied up. County, state or city codes now force restaurants to only dispose of it via (either by selling or paying; according to market conditions) a licensed rendering firm to take it. Penalties for distributing it to a no licensed firm. Licensed firms must carry special permits, equipment etc etc etc.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Ah thats annoying! I suppose its only viable if you have a family member of friend that owns a small restaurant.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

alexanderfoti wrote:Ah thats annoying! I suppose its only viable if you have a family member of friend that owns a small restaurant.
Sorta. With the potential code violations hanging over their head etc. even most small restaurants won't risk letting an individual take their oil. It's less risky to pay a firm to pick it up in their eyes.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

That is a shame, in the UK our gvt is at least willing to help people recycle the oil. We get 2500 liters a year fuel duty tax free.