Waterproofing

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Waterproofing

Post by alexanderfoti »

After riding for 2 hours in the torrential rain we had yesterday in London, I can say my exposed primary pulley isn't affected by a crap load of water!

For anybody else wondering if they should fully enclose it for this reason, it isn't required :)
UAofE
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Waterproofing

Post by UAofE »

It would still be prudent to disassemble, clean and lube the clutch to prevent rust or sticking.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I have no clutch on mine, the action is achieved by the belt slipping on the front pulley.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

It's good to know that it performs ok when wet however I would still fit a small guard over the front to stop dirt/debris getting in to the belt/pulley from the front wheel.
These Aixam cvt's can be expensive to replace. :wink:
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Thanks indeed. There is a cover there over the belt and rear pulley. I may engineer something in the future to cover it.
bf109v7

Post by bf109v7 »

alexanderfoti wrote:I have no clutch on mine, the action is achieved by the belt slipping on the front pulley.
Doesn*t this make the live of the belt very short? What type (rand) of converter do you have?
Alex
bf109v7

Post by bf109v7 »

alexanderfoti wrote:I have no clutch on mine, the action is achieved by the belt slipping on the front pulley.
Doesn*t this make the live of the belt very short? What type (rand) of converter do you have?
Alex
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Not sure what is worse.. road dust etc. or heat trapped in by a cover. Heat is real bad on CVT. Best of both worlds is maybe a cover ducted to pull fresh air thru it and push hot air out with filtered fresh air inlet maybe snorkeled somehow so it is higher into fresher air than what the front tire kicks up.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

bf109v7 wrote:
Alex
Its the one from an Aixam microcar, its a cvtech of some sort, a powerblock I believe.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

The Aixam belts are recommended to be changed at 11000 mls BUT that is on a light car so I would imagine on a much lighter bike they will go on much longer!!
bf109v7

Post by bf109v7 »

On this hand traktors here they use the belt for clutch, and the belt does not live longer than 100 miles.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

In 2000 miles, wear on my belt does seem pretty minimal T best. Will keep an eye on it though.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Devils Advocate :twisted:

Actually you have two clutches. A primary clutch and secondary clutch. Talking CVT can get so confusing. I think your right though he was talking about a "friction clutch". Friction Clutch Sound like a good term to use for the more common bike and auto clutches used with gear boxes?
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

coachgeo wrote:
Devils Advocate :twisted:

Actually you have two clutches. A primary clutch and secondary clutch. Talking CVT can get so confusing. I think your right though he was talking about a "friction clutch". Friction Clutch Sound like a good term to use for the more common bike and auto clutches used with gear boxes?
well, true, you know what I mean :D :)
bf109v7

Post by bf109v7 »

alexanderfoti wrote:In 2000 miles, wear on my belt does seem pretty minimal T best. Will keep an eye on it though.
My belt broke today at 200 miles :(
Alex
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Sorry to hear.

In back of my mand have been concerned your CVT and thusly its belt may not be designed for the torque of a diesel engine. What is the spec's it is rated for in HP Torque etc.? Granted should take this to another thread so not to hijack this one.