Nitrous and propane

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

UAofE
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Nitrous and propane

Post by UAofE »

From here: https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... =32&t=2507

Seems to me that a "wet" nitrous system using propane as the fuel is the solution for those that want more power for acceleration and passing speed.

Benefits:
You won't have to overfuel the engine, so tank fuel economy and visible emissions are not affected.
No added heat or mechanical stress on the engine during non-maximum load conditions.
Much cheaper than a turbo/supercharger.
Can be easily tailored to exactly how much extra power you need.
Weight neutral compared to a turbo/supercharger system.
Tanks can be located anywhere for better weight distribution.
Small diameter hose routing instead of 1inch+ tubes.

Risks:
Ungoverned fuel source can overspeed the engine. Can be prevented with an interlock switch on the fuel rack so the control switch only gets power at maximum fueling and powers off when the engine reduces fuel to limit speed.
Additional consumable costs, about US$5 per pound to refill.
Nitrous/propane are consumable and can run out if not sized to last a predictable range.
Nitrous is illegal to use on public streets in some jurisdictions.
Nitrous tank can be very dangerous if pressure gets too high or the tank is damaged.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
coachgeo

Re: Nitrous and propane

Post by coachgeo »

There are threads in here on this topic. Reading the rehashing one of them with new thoughts would be a great topic. Just bumped a good one up for you about Mr. Sharkey's site where you can read up on the concept. Here is link to that thread viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2416

From my past reading in several places have been led believe that fumigation of LP is truly of minimal value on a naturally aspirated diesel engine. Different story on a turbo. Seems to be rather effective in that case. Granted all I've read was about multi cylinder engines.
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

coachgeo wrote:LP is truly of minimal value on a naturally aspirated diesel engine.
Thats why I made this thread. Additional fuel is useless without additional air, which is impractical on sub-20hp engine. Nitrous would be the only oxygen source that is commonly available and is truly "free" horsepower (doesn't stress the engine making power to operate a turbo/supercharger)
2006 Honda Rebel
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

UAofE wrote:
coachgeo wrote:LP is truly of minimal value on a naturally aspirated diesel engine.
Thats why I made this thread. Additional fuel is useless without additional air, which is impractical on sub-20hp engine. Nitrous would be the only oxygen source that is commonly available and is truly "free" horsepower (doesn't stress the engine making power to operate a turbo/supercharger)
you well could be right. was not catching your thought process of the nitrous being the additional oxygen source for more complete usage of the LP. Though think have read that diesels suck in more air than they can use compared to petrol engines. Granted air does not have as much oxygen as Nitrous.

Would you be able to carry enough of both of them for continued use though? The more successful fumigation set ups seem to be for heavy load (up grades) and passing aka- short burst of extra umph needed.
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

coachgeo wrote:Though think have read that diesels suck in more air than they can use compared to petrol engines.
That is only at partial load. At full load they are running nearly stoichiometric when tuned properly. Propane works weakly on non-turbo engines because its taking up that last bit of available air.
Would you be able to carry enough of both of them for continued use though?
Thats the question that would require testing. I would start with a 16.4oz camping propane cylinder and 10oz nitrous bottle. The next size step up for both is a pretty big jump in weight.

Short bursts is exactly what this sort of configuration would be limited to but its difficult to determine exactly how long the fuel or nitrous bottle would last.
Both can be filled easily from a larger "mother bottle".
2006 Honda Rebel
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

sounds like you got yourself on a good track for a neat experiment. Look forward to your tinkering with this ideas