Things I have to watch out in Europe/Germany

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

numuzmar
Been here a while now..

Post by numuzmar »

Hi all

this year I am willing to visit Hamm, all my biker friends say that I am crazy! and at the first Police post in Germany will give me penalty for my black smoke exhaust or too loud exhaust, and now I am worried :? my exhaust

- is there in EU some kind of eco restrictions for diesel bikes ?

- any problems with camp site? can you just put up a tent in fields or woods? or even in truck parking near gas stations?

- can I ride autobahn with average speed 50-80km/h ? maybe turn on daylights?

so main question is, what I have to watch out to avoid 5000€ ticket?
Tetronator
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Things I have to watch out in Europe/Germany

Post by Tetronator »

numuzmar wrote:Hi all

this year I am willing to visit Hamm, all my biker friends say that I am crazy! and at the first Police post in Germany will give me penalty for my black smoke exhaust or too loud exhaust, and now I am worried :? my exhaust

- is there in EU some kind of eco restrictions for diesel bikes ?

- any problems with camp site? can you just put up a tent in fields or woods? or even in truck parking near gas stations?

- can I ride autobahn with average speed 50-80km/h ? maybe turn on daylights?

so main question is, what I have to watch out to avoid 5000€ ticket?
Great! You'll be welcomed with open arms.

Now onto your questions, I'm not German but I do not think it's as bad as you and your friends think it is.

- For an old bike such as yourself there are no eco restrictions as far as I know, they might have a problem if its too loud. So make sure to keep the rev's down near the 'polizei'.

- You will need to camp at an appointed campsite which will cost your around 10 to 20 Euro per night, wild camping in the woods or fields is not allowed unless stated otherwise.
(Then again, if nobody knows your there, whose going to stop you? :roll:)

- Avoid the autobahn, there are no speed limits on parts of the autobahn and as such the speed of vehicles can exceed 180 km/h. I think you are allowed on the autobahn as your bike can reach 80km/h but I'd advice against it due to the speed differences, for your own safety. The polizei will agree I think.
(I've had plenty of times I was going flat out on my petrol bike only to be over taken by some guy in an Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Bugatti/Deutsche post van/ect.)

Germans are very set on their rules tough so do respect them.
Oh yeah, Zoll Polizei is drugs control so you'll have unpack everything and let them search your bike for drugs if they stop you. I think they ride around in green striped cars, (correct me if I'm wrong).
Other than that I do not think you will have any troubles, take care, ride safe, stay friendly and have fun :D.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Look forward to seeing you in Hamm :-)
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Redkite
Been here a while now..

Post by Redkite »

I'm not sure if this applies to all German roads, but certainly on motorways, unless things have changed –
A few years back, Motorway near Stuttgart. In 2 lanes of stationary cars, I'm filtering slowly down the centre, and pass a polizei patrol car, also stuck in traffic. 100 metres on, I see blue flashing lights in my mirrors, and pull over to let him through, thinking he's off to an 'emergency', when he flags me over , stating that filtering is verboten and starts writing me a 60 eu ticket.
Fortunately they spoke a little english, which helped me argue that I had been filtering slowly and carefully, and that it's generally allowed in UK. 'okay, this time we make a small fine, 20 euros' which was a bit more palatable, but a lesson learnt.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Redkite wrote:I'm not sure if this applies to all German roads, but certainly on motorways, unless things have changed –
A few years back, Motorway near Stuttgart. In 2 lanes of stationary cars, I'm filtering slowly down the centre, and pass a polizei patrol car, also stuck in traffic. 100 metres on, I see blue flashing lights in my mirrors, and pull over to let him through, thinking he's off to an 'emergency', when he flags me over , stating that filtering is verboten and starts writing me a 60 eu ticket.
Fortunately they spoke a little english, which helped me argue that I had been filtering slowly and carefully, and that it's generally allowed in UK. 'okay, this time we make a small fine, 20 euros' which was a bit more palatable, but a lesson learnt.
Yep, it applies to all roads. Filtering is not allowed in Germany. As you said, verboten.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
bf109v7

Post by bf109v7 »

It is no fun to go slow on the Autobahn, but if it is easier to find your way or when you want to get zjere faster you can go on thr Autobahn as long as your top speed is more than 60 Km/h. Normaly 60 is alsao the minimun Speed you should go, but if it goes uphill you may be slower.
I am German, but I left Germany, one reason was that to many things are "verboten".
Alex
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

One thing that catches out UK riders (myself included) in both Germany and France is the changing of speed limit at junctions along a main road. The limit may well be 100km/h but with little warning it will drop to 80 or maybe 70 for a few hundred metres (I think I've even seen a 50) then back up to 100 - sometimes you can see every single speed sign both down and back up again on a straight stretch of road. In the UK it would normally just stay the same. I've seen police speed traps in these on several occasions and they're often hidden well enough you won't until it is too late - so be warned.

I'm with Alex. Riding at any speed on the autobahn is not fun - quite soul destroying in fact. The time for them is when you're in a car and need to get somewhere fast. So... get your maps out and plan a better route. Even if you run with the major A roads you'll have a much more enjoyable and stress free ride than on the motorways. In addition many add quite a bit of mileage on to your route anyway - it's only by virtue of being on them at high speed you get the benefit. So on a diesel bike at 80km/h you may even be extending your journey.

And thanks Redkite - I should know better but I wasn't aware filtering wasn't permitted in Germany. I've done it a few times on stationary German motorways (otherwise what is the point of being on a bike?) and frankly if the traffic wasn't moving I would do it again. To be fair they'll have a harder time catching me on an FJR1300 though :)

I'd also like to reiterate the point by Tetronator. If you are going to use the autobahns do not underestimate the speed at which some vehicles may be travelling. In Germany there can be a massive difference between two lanes of traffic (lorries traveling at 70km/h in the inside lane, high power cars at 200km/h+ in the outside) and until you've been scared half to death a few times by it it's hard to understand. In the second or two after you've checked your mirror and seen a clear lane there can be a car there bearing down on you with little chance of braking. I've been caught out on a 650 V-Strom where I was doing 130km/h so I wouldn't dare ride something that only did half that speed. See Alex's point again - find a less stressful route!

Safe riding and see you in Hamm...
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
bf109v7

Post by bf109v7 »

Dan J wrote: And thanks Redkite - I should know better but I wasn't aware filtering wasn't permitted in Germany. I've done it a few times on stationary German motorways (otherwise what is the point of being on a bike?) and frankly if the traffic wasn't moving I would do it again. To be fair they'll have a harder time catching me on an FJR1300 though :)
Safe riding and see you in Hamm...
I was stopped once after paasing a long line of stopped cars. An thr Policeman was going to fine me. And he toled me that filtering is no good and vorboten. And what would happen if everybody would do this. I toled him, that, if everbody would use a motorbike an not in a big car, there would be no traffig yam here. He looked up and said: Actully, you are right! But neverteless, dont do it again. And I got away without paying.
Alex
numuzmar
Been here a while now..

Post by numuzmar »

thank you for the answers!
yesterday finally I got a visa for 7 days, now when its going really happen Iam starting to be scared :D my bike is not that reliable to travel that far.

and one more question, do I have to wear light reflective vest on the road?
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

numuzmar wrote:thank you for the answers!
yesterday finally I got a visa for 7 days, now when its going really happen Iam starting to be scared :D my bike is not that reliable to travel that far.
Great! I think your diesel is more reliable than the engine that was in there before.
Either-way your going to a place where there's a LOT of knowledge about diesels and just about everyone will be ready to help if something does go wrong.
numuzmar wrote: and one more question, do I have to wear light reflective vest on the road?
I don't think so, but I do believe you have to carry one with you to wear when you do get a break down. (I never have one with me. :roll:)

When will you arrive?

You know where it is right? https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Brauho ... 7672?hl=nl

Honda VT600 C Shadow
numuzmar
Been here a while now..

Post by numuzmar »

I plan to arrive on Friday, but its only plans)I have to start on Wednesday, it all depends how much time will take to cross the border and rainy weather can take much time as well
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

A mere 2 or 3 days to get from the Ukraine to the far side of Germany. You have one heck of a ride in front of you then my friend.

I hope you'll have good weather and to see you at Hamm. I'll arrive either on Thursday or early Friday.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

I just realized something! All-tough you probably know this, I've never seen you with a helmet on in any of your videos.
Helmets are required in Germany and the rest of the EU for that matter. :roll:

Honda VT600 C Shadow
numuzmar
Been here a while now..

Post by numuzmar »

nope, not this time, yesterday was just not my day first this:
https://pp.vk.me/c622829/v622829090/400 ... 9DeL_U.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c622829/v622829090/400 ... _Ftnzw.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c622829/v622829090/400 ... VYYIRk.jpg
then leak from the tank,
well next year I will prepare better :oops:
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Damn, that sucks. :(

I really wanted to see you at Hamm, maybe the Big Knock next year?

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

As it happens we saw a bike do exactly the same thing at the rally..... :shock:
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Indeed we did. But as it was powered by a massive Deutz one cylinder, the hardy disk exploded with quite a big racket...

Honda VT600 C Shadow
numuzmar
Been here a while now..

Post by numuzmar »

Tetronator wrote:maybe the Big Knock next year?
it would be great, but it's very difficult to open visa for Great Britain, I need some kind of invitation.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

numuzmar wrote:
Tetronator wrote:maybe the Big Knock next year?
it would be great, but it's very difficult to open visa for Great Britain, I need some kind of invitation.
Like from a certain person, or would an event invitation do? I'm guessing there will be plenty of people here that are willing to help you with that either-way.

I'm not an UK resident so I doubt I can help you but there are plenty of them on this forum.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Open visa - next to impossible these days, specific length of stay for a vacation is a different matter... although the UK is not party to the general European visa like the Euro countries so you will need a separate one for those.

You should try and get an open business visa for Russia, now that's tough.
numuzmar
Been here a while now..

Post by numuzmar »

Tetronator wrote: Like from a certain person, or would an event invitation do? I'm guessing there will be plenty of people here that are willing to help you with that either-way.
I will try to do something with that in march
Diesel Dave wrote:Open visa - next to impossible these days, specific length of stay for a vacation is a different matter... although the UK is not party to the general European visa like the Euro countries so you will need a separate one for those.
yep I know, I already have a schengen visa for rest of the EU but UK visa its not that simple I have to convince migration officer that I will return to Ukraine for that I have to have at home some kind of business or job that only I can do, it means that I have to be irreplaceable employee, or UK citizen that will wright invitation for me that says I am a guest and will return to my country
Diesel Dave wrote:You should try and get an open business visa for Russia, now that's tough.
I've been to Russia, and I don't want to go there anymore and I can advise you don't do business with russians :D