CVT Torque ratings?

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

sideshow
I luv the smell of Diesel...

CVT Torque ratings?

Post by sideshow »

Hey everyone!

Just recently decided to make the move to a CVT for my bike build.

Having trouble figuring out which drive/driven pulleys to look at. I'd like to match some torque specifications before I start buying. Anyone have any max torque ratings? I'll be using a Hatz 2g40, which has a max torque rating of ~53 Nm

Thanks!
Project: 1980 CB750 with Hatz 2g40 (CVT)
garbs

Re: CVT Torque ratings?

Post by garbs »

I've never seen any torque ratings for cvts, not saying they aren't out there, I've just never seen them and I did a lot of research into them when building my bike. I have only ever seen them rated by hp. Most gas engines have torque figures which are fairly close to the hp numbers. So a 13hp engine would have about 13ft/lbs. So I figured if I got a cvt rated for around a hp # that was close or above my engines torque #, Id be safe. Going by the hp ratings I could have maybe got away with bolting a comet 40 series right to the flywheel of my d722, rated for 18hp, but I knew it couldnt handle the torque of 40ish ft/lbs compared to the 18ish ft/lbs an 18hp gas engine would have. I did end up using a comet 40 series but it is driven by a 2:1 belt system so it only sees half the torque my engine is putting out, about 20ft/lbs at most. This is still right about the max I figure it could handle but as far as I can tell it does not slip. I would say you should be safe with anything bigger than a comet 94c. If my memory is correct I believe they are rated for up to 100hp. I am mainly only familiar with comet cvts so I can't recommend any equivalents made by other brands.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Thanks garbs! I'll look into that method. I guess I'll have to look at some gas engine specs!
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

Like was said, remember that HP ratings for the clutches are for gas engines in the 6-9000rpm range.
The Comet 94C/90D combo has seen good results with diesels in that 53 Nm / 40 ft-lb torque range and is what I will be using on my bike.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

UAofE wrote:Like was said, remember that HP ratings for the clutches are for gas engines in the 6-9000rpm range.
The Comet 94C/90D combo has seen good results with diesels in that 53 Nm / 40 ft-lb torque range and is what I will be using on my bike.
Thanks. I was looking at this one, and it seemed like the people using it had motors with slightly lower max torque, so I assumed I would probably have to size up. What motor are you planning on putting in your bike?
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

Winsun R2V840 with a turbo.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

UAofE wrote:Winsun R2V840 with a turbo.
Yeah, that'll put out more torque than the 2g40 unturboed. Thanks!