klondikekid Treg

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

klondikekid
I luv the smell of Diesel...

klondikekid Treg

Post by klondikekid »

Hi, I'm located on Vancouver Island Canada, and came across this forum, and thought you people might like to see the diesel bike I built, 1961 harley frame, 4spd trans, D950 3 cyl. Kubota. I'll post a couple pics, if there's interest I'll post some more, I'm open to questions as well, Hope I can contribute to the forum and also learn.
Attachments
DSC01146.JPG
6.JPG
8.JPG
7.JPG
4.JPG
2.JPG
coachgeo

Re: klondikekid Treg

Post by coachgeo »

"If there is some interest"??? is Santa Clause fat and jolly, does he have a sleigh, does he show up on Radar every freakin Christmas duuuhhhhhh

LOL

yeah throw in a build thread. We would love to know more about your trials and tribulations on building her as well as a ride report. Looks nice. Not my thing (more of an adventure bike fella) but yours is sweet and many will love it.

Hand shift tranny... interesting. What tranny is that? Like the fuel return to the tank cap or is that an air bleed.. or both.
klondikekid

Re: klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

Thanks, I'll be sure to throw up a build thread, just have to get thru Xmas, then I'll have some time to put it up here. The transmission is a 4spd Harley trans, while I was building it was easier to make the shifter pedal a clutch pedal with linkage to a clutch release arm from the trans, and bolt on a custom made hand shifter handle, and yes the hose up to the tank is a fuel return line. The build was a fairly easy build, I didn't have to cut, or modify the frame, well not entirely true, I had to cut off the top engine mount tab on the frame to clear the valve cover, could be welded back on. I haven't ridden it yet, I was so close, I got a used clutch drum and engine pulley for the open belt drive, and I went cheap and got a "good used one" on flea- bay, totally worn out junk, so I bit the bullet and got a new set, just finishing up the install now, doing wiring right now too. These x mas holidays I hope to finish up the wiring and finish the belt drive and ride it. p.s. the turbo is a GT15 from flea- bay, can't wait to hear it spool up, under load.
Attachments
5.JPG
DSC01152.JPG
10.JPG
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

That's a really nice bike your got there.

I see you've done away with the original waterpump, how did go about doing that? I'm looking into way's of doing that myself, but on a D722.

Welcome to the forum and season's greetings of course!
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

Thanks, the water pump I'm using is bolted on the back side of the injector pump, it came with the engine when I bought it, the engine was from a Onan boat generator, so the pump was for pumping sea water thru the heat exchanger, as you can see I made a plate to go over the spot where the water pump was, if you look at your engine you should see a plate with 4 bolt holes where the pump bolts on, behind that there is a shaft with a slot cut across it where the pump engages, a little looking around, maybe marine engine shop might know where to get one or Onan. Oh, that plate over the water pump spot, I cut all the pieces and mocked it up in aluminum and payed a friend in beer to weld it up.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

All-right! No mucking about with electric pumps for me then! :D
Thanks you've saved me a lot of hassle.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

klondikekid wrote:Thanks, the water pump I'm using is bolted on the back side of the injector pump, it came with the engine when I bought it, the engine was from a Onan boat generator, so the pump was for pumping sea water thru the heat exchanger, as you can see I made a plate to go over the spot where the water pump was, if you look at your engine you should see a plate with 4 bolt holes where the pump bolts on, behind that there is a shaft with a slot cut across it where the pump engages, a little looking around, maybe marine engine shop might know where to get one or Onan. Oh, that plate over the water pump spot, I cut all the pieces and mocked it up in aluminum and payed a friend in beer to weld it up.
sure that on the back of the IP is a water pump? The D950 was also used in Kubota Tractors and many of the AG (Agriculture) model engines have the hydraulic pump running off the back of the IP. From further reading have also found Onan/Kubota D950 was used as Gensets in RV's and also used the IP shaft to drive a water pump. Course if you know for sure it was a marine engine than this is a mute point..... except that it means someone.. (kubota or Onan?) made water pumps that fit on at least one model of IP they used on the D950 (probably same IP used on AG and Marine)

Note:further reading it appears Kubota made the IP shaft drive water pump
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

I put a new rubber impellor in the pump from the marine supply store, and it's a common size impellor, and it's for sure a water pump, not too sure where to get a replacement pump,There not too cheap, I had to buy one before for a boat I lived on, It looked almost the same just a different mounting, if you look in my pics you will see it from the left side behind the fuel filter, I left it glass beaded bronze. I'm right in boat country here and know lots of people in the boat repair biz I'll ask around and see what I can find out.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Klondike, could you tell the diffrence in volume pumped by the seawaterpump in comparison too the stock coolant pump? Is it actually sufficient for the job? Can the rubber impeller handle the heat?

Honda VT600 C Shadow
WrickM
Been here a while now..

Post by WrickM »

EXACTLY the kind of bike i want. Awesome, man.
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

Camera Apr 25 004.JPG
Heres some updated pics, I have lathed 12lbs. off the 38lb.flywheel for quicker revs, and no.. the engine doesn't vibrate that much more than normal, sure revs quicker though, also got rid of the e bay china clone turbo, it leaked and boost was crap. bit the bullet and bought a garrett GT12, it made a world of difference, the exhaust has the tell tale whistle now, very cool.
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

Camera Apr 25 003.JPG
Camera Apr 25 002.JPG
Camera Apr 25 001.JPG
More pics
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

yanmar-powered_turbo-diesel_chopper.jpg
1000cc_turbo-diesel_chopper.jpg
78004_429322330484113_1176506416_o.jpg
0_8004_zoom.jpg
Heres some bikes that Sam at dethmachinefab has built his bikes inspired me to build mine. check out his youtube videos....you'll be blown away.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Deathmachinefab; a member here, has inspired many with his creations. Though he rarely pops in here we still accept him as one of our own :mrgreen:

You've done fantastic work as well klondikekid!!! Mucho thank you for the update.
BoxerOtto

Post by BoxerOtto »

how hard is it to get it plated in bc? where about on the island are you, i did a trip july 2014 from sexsmith ab to ladysmith bc via the north okanogan 3200km in 7 days on my little diesel. awsome trip hope to do it again in 2016, just longer.i hope you get many good miles on yours you'll get lots of attention that is certain.
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

I live in Victoria on Vancouver Island, used to live in Nanaimo just north of Ladysmith. The paper work is a simple one page form from ICBC, they want 4 pictures of the bike, bills of sales for all major parts, and pics of ser#'s for motor, trans, frame, then they will send the VIN tag to a approved garage for installation, then I'll get a inspection at the same time for getting insurance, when I built the bike I made sure to put signal lights, hi/low beam, brake light etc. so inspection should go smooth, after I'm insured I can take the brake light of the back fender and make it axle/side mount, and a few other changes that might fall into a grey area for inspection. If you ever come to the Island again take the Tsawwassen ferry from the mainland to Victoria and stop in Sidney just a few minuites from the dock and stop at Electro Shine Metal Finishers, we're a chrome plating shop, be glad to give you a tour, that goes for any other people reading this too. google Electro Shine for address and info. I'll have a look here for pics of your bike, I assume you have pics here?
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

BoxerOtto your bike is great , I like the supercharger idea, I envy your machining/shop skills, I lack machining and casting/lathe skills, I hate paying/buying beer for someone else to do what I know I could do if I had more time and space for more tools. your bike gives me ideas for my next build, eg.lighter, more cafe style, more agile, maybe smart car turbo computer motor.
BoxerOtto

Post by BoxerOtto »

Thanks, its a fun little bike. i have a few more refinements i will pursue before my next trip, water meth injection i want to bump it up to around 15 psi boost, and some wind breaker devices. i've been to sydney and vic many times just not on the diesel. i will definatly come by july 2016. i may proceed through to port angeles again and do 101 down to portland, then head east to lewiston idaho then north back home. some epic riding through there. not that there isn't epic riding once you get out of alberta,but washington ,oregon and idaho jeez. i have an idea for another build at some point, i have the motor in waiting , its a nice little 20 hp perkins triple but willlook like an indian four or ace or henderson when i'm done. slim 20s or 30s look. it can take a while to get it right but its sure worth it when its done. i build with the trial and error philosophy,its always a work in progress ,ive had many versions and there is always something i see, i can ,or will change, but it unfolds naturally as i ride and think of new things. i know you will get shanghied everytime you stop, but thats part of having such a unique machine. enjoy the ride.
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

I know what your saying, my bike doesn't look like I had imagined at all, when I first started, it took on a direction of it's own it seems, trying to make everything fit, I've learned a lot from this bike that will make the next one even better. This last weekend I entered the bike in the Sindey annual car/bike show, wasn't trying for any awards or anything, just thought people would like to see it, most people that have seen it in my shop thought it was cool so i hauled it down to the show and dropped it off at 7:30 am and took off, came back at 11:00 by then the crowds were there and as soon as people knew I owned it, the questions just flowed, so many people and talking, after a couple hrs or so I left, next time I just casually walked by and noticed I had a winner tag on the bike, there wasn't very many bikes at this show as it was more a car show, but I got the " best bike " trophy, shocked me, judges thought it was different enough, paint and chrome don't always win I was told. Getting the vin# tag this month so I can get riding finally.
BoxerOtto

Post by BoxerOtto »

good job. theres some validation for all your work and effort. now its time to get it legal and enjoy the ride. at least you'll be able to ride it for some time this year yet. we just had our first frost. sucks being this far north.
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

download (2).jpg
download (2).jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 36758 times
Winter is here again in Canada, well cold rain anyways.. so I got this urge to do a little upgrade on my bike, supercharged turbo combo, anyone have input on this? I know how to do it, I know it will add weight, but a turbo on one side and a blower on the other side...the cool factor is killing me...talk me out of it if you can, before I just do it.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (10.95 KiB) Viewed 36761 times
BoxerOtto

Post by BoxerOtto »

Do it. you will probably be the first on this site to have dual compression in a bike. Did you get plated yet?
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

BoxerOtto wrote:Do it. you will probably be the first on this site to have dual compression in a bike. Did you get plated yet?
I'm just waiting for the paper work to come back from insurance corp. Have been riding around the side streets here a bit, since I moved, I'm in a quieter area and have some road here to do test runs up and down the street, my moving this summer just slowed everything down, but now things have settled and winter is here and I been thinking about this for awhile, This spring for sure...
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

I shouldn't have watched Fury Road.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Witness him!!! I want to see a supercharged-snail-powered-kubota diesel motorbike! :twisted:

Honda VT600 C Shadow
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

Just have a bypass valve open at 5-8psi manifold pressure. You can ratio the supercharger more aggressively without overboosting and the turbo will take over once its built up its own boost.
Losses would be fairly low since the supercharger would just be moving air instead of compressing it when the turbo takes over.

A throttle body from a small gas engine would work with a wastegate actuator attached to the throttle lever.

Look up the silver series 2-stroke detroit diesels, they used a bypass system on their blowers to reduce pumping losses when the turbo spools.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

valve_trimmed.jpg
$_12.JPG
You've read my mind UAofE here's what I was looking at, Edelbrocks turbo pressure deactivation switch adjustable 3-20 lbs, and some sort of electric exhaust cut out valve, thinking the exhaust valve is designed not to leak,(exhaust leak) that i can modify to go in the by pass hose, I like your idea of trying different drive ratios for best performance, I'm like a kid waiting for X-mas now, super should be here by end of week, I'm going to try to keep things on the safe side, no crazy boost levels, I want it to be reliable and be long lived....until I find another D950 and rebuild it with some performance upgrades, maybe if i ask nice dethfabmachine might give me some of his trade secrets. I'll post pics as I do this.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Another place you might get performance hints on building the D950 is from "Garden tractor pullers". They use this engine often.
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

A switch won't work, it has no hysteresis to prevent it just dumping open/closed at an exact pressure.
You need a system that will crack open at Xpsi and progressively open/close on demand. Thats why I suggested a wastegate actuator, they naturally vary valve position based on pressure.

Throttle bodies are better, a manifold leak through the shaft isn't desirable at all. An exhaust cutout can leak a little because it won't affect engine operation and its under the car where a small leak isn't a hazard.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
klondikekid

Post by klondikekid »

Thanks for the input UAofE, you made some good points, makes a lot of sense having a vacuum style open close, I was thinking a fast switch open close would be kind of erratic...The more in put the better, It's cheaper and easier to build this just once. throttle body is an easy adapt too and cheap. feels like I'm half way there....