New filter plumbing for WVO

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

So I have had issues with my lift fuel pump breaking, my injector pump breaking. I had some inline filters but they blocked quickly, so I recently re-did my filtration system in mind for WVO.

I have tank -> Fuel sedimenter > lift pump > Cav 296 filter -> injection pump

After around 100 miles, I think its pretty obvious why my filters and pump broke

Now, I have no idea where this is coming from, the fuel has 0 sediment when going in, so it must be coming from my tank. If I drain the tank I dont see much sediment so maybe its something shedding from the tank lineing over time?

I havent taken it off yet to see what the sediment feels like, but at least I know the filters are now working well.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I'd say it was the heavier fats within the WVO? But they're usually white. Thought I'd filtered them one time only they continued to appear over time, albeit in lesser & lesser quantities.
Could be crud from tank though?
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Re: New filter plumbing for WVO

Post by alexanderfoti »

Stuart wrote:I'd say it was the heavier fats within the WVO? But they're usually white. Thought I'd filtered them one time only they continued to appear over time, albeit in lesser & lesser quantities.
Could be crud from tank though?
I initially thought this as well, and thought it wouldnt matter as it would get to the injector pump, then melt and get injected.

I think it may be a mix of that and sediment. Also, my fuel was completely clear when its poured in, so not sure where its getting its very dark colour from. Oh well, Ill pull it off and see what they feel like.
albertaphil
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by albertaphil »

I have no experience with wvo, but I have a really hard time believing that THAT much crud would continue to come off your tank. So if the fuel is clear going into the tank, then the crud must be either the heavier fats, or proteins precipitating out of the wvo due to some sort of chemical reaction inside the tank.

You should collect the sediment and see if you can melt it. If you can't then it must be protein.
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

Just found this

http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Blendi ... ecipitates

Apparently there is all kinds of stuff that can precipitate. Is your wvo flowing through the same filters as your diesel? If so, maybe the diesel is mixing with the wvo in the filters, thinning it and causing the precipitates to form.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I agree, I cant imagine thats all coming from my tank. I will take a look at it tomorrow and see what it looks and feels like.

I only run WVO w 10% petrol mixed in a single tank. Its possible that there is a bit of injector cleaner in there from when I had my injector pump issues that could be reacting with the WVO.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

alexanderfoti wrote:I agree, I cant imagine thats all coming from my tank. I will take a look at it tomorrow and see what it looks and feels like.

I only run WVO w 10% petrol mixed in a single tank. Its possible that there is a bit of injector cleaner in there from when I had my injector pump issues that could be reacting with the WVO.
Don't think so but who knows??

See if it will melt is a great idea. Pull some from your collection tank and put it in a glass jar in the kitchen and see if more settles out that you realize? Do same with some pulled from collection and 10% petrol added. Could it be Chicken Skin (palmerization)? If your collection tank has a paint thinnerish/varnish smell then it is polymerizing. Does your petrol you blend with happen to be Gasohol? Some have had issues with that as a blending agent.

How do you filter and dewater? What micron is your prefiltering done to? What is the PH of the oil? What is your whole procedure in fact?

Actually these questions may be best responded to in the fueling section though and linked to here? If you've covered this in another thread please point it out.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

coachgeo wrote:
alexanderfoti wrote:I agree, I cant imagine thats all coming from my tank. I will take a look at it tomorrow and see what it looks and feels like.

Don't think so but who knows??

See if it will melt is a great idea. Pull some from your collection tank and put it in a glass jar in the kitchen and see if more settles out that you realize? Do same with some pulled from collection and 10% petrol added. Could it be Chicken Skin (palmerization)? If your collection tank has a paint thinnerish/varnish smell then it is polymerizing. Does your petrol you blend with happen to be Gasohol? Some have had issues with that as a blending agent.

How do you filter and dewater? What micron is your prefiltering done to? What is the PH of the oil? What is your whole procedure in fact?

Actually these questions may be best responded to in the fueling section though and linked to here? If you've covered this in another thread please point it out.
Possibly, I get my oil pre-filtered to 10 microns and pre watered through a centrifuge 4 times. A guy uses it in his 525D and I buy the excess. I have tested the water content and it is very low if not 0. I have already tested the mixture and also kept it at very low temperatures to see if anything falls out and nothing. I think this is a form of diesel bug.

I had the bowl off today, the mixture is very sludgy, completely soft and doesnt appear to melt. Not actually grit or nything.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

alexanderfoti wrote:
coachgeo wrote:[quote="alexanderfoti"....

Possibly, I get my oil pre-filtered to 10 microns and pre watered through a centrifuge 4 times. A guy uses it in his 525D and I buy the excess. I have tested the water content and it is very low if not 0. I have already tested the mixture and also kept it at very low temperatures to see if anything falls out and nothing. I think this is a form of diesel bug.

I had the bowl off today, the mixture is very sludgy, completely soft and doesnt appear to melt. Not actually grit or nything.
Duhhhhh.. my bad this is the Fueling forum. And I must apologize again.. reading your reply reminds me that I asked the above question in another thread somewhere a bit ago and my feeble brain forgot that you already answered.

So now what? Ask the fellow you get it from if he has had any issues lately? Maybe his supplier (or his own filtering etc.) is getting sloppy? Are you getting the excess from what left at the bottom of drum? 10micron is supprisingly big. This is what a typical Auto filter "nominal" rating. Not sure if small bowl filters are less or more. So what ever is plugging your stuff is larger than 10 micron. Yikes. Not an issue for diesel so much (it has a lower viscosity) but more of an issue for higher viscosity Veg. You might consider refiltering to 2 micron. Many many do that.

Have you put a jar of your recent batch of oil out to watch? Especially one with your 10% mix? You didn't mention do you use pure petrol for sure or is some alcohol in there (ethanol)? If your PH is High and you have some alcohol in their it might be creating some soap like stuff falling out.

What is your storage? How much air? Is your storage usually full or half full for example? How moist is your local climate? Oil is Hydroscopic and will absorb moisture from the air.

What do the walls of your storage vessel and your bike tank look like? Do you have a chicken skin like layer, thin brownish plastic-y looking layer on them?

You may know all about this stuff so let me know if you've covered your bases in these areas. I do not want to be insulting by encouraging you to climb a tree to trim it when you've already fell the bad branches.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Haven't forgotten about this, just haven't had time to reply. Will go through the lot. I have done another 200 miles since emptying the sedimenter and it's already refilling visibly.