Shimming fuel injector

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Shimming fuel injector

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hi all

I am wanting to increase the pop pressure on my injectors slightly for better running on WVO. The parts manual shows these shims (as does the service manual):

Number 29 in the diagram. Is there any standard type of shim, or will ones for a CR injector work etc? I assume as long as I get a load of 0.1mm shims I can adjust them.

I cant find the yanmar part number pack of shims anywhere, can anybody point me in the right direction :)

Thanks
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Shimming fuel injector

Post by coachgeo »

search out Elsbett. They are liable to make injectors for your engine that are better suited to thick fuels like WVO. I would also add water and or water-alcohol injection to occasionally clean the engine.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Water injection system is already in the pipeline :) just waiting on the pump and tank :)

I did try contacting them on multiple occasions but haven't been able to get any response from them, so I'm taking matters into my own hands
tappy

Post by tappy »

I've a suspicion we've been here before but..... why not heat the fuel? 80deg C brings it to about the same viscosity as diesel and it should atomise and burn better too...
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

tappy wrote:I've a suspicion we've been here before but..... why not heat the fuel? 80deg C brings it to about the same viscosity as diesel and it should atomise and burn better too...
That us always an option, but electrical load is the main issues.

I am currently on 10% petrol 90% wvo. I have noticed it is a bit harder to start, even in the summer, however once the engine warms up it runs well.

Maybe a fuel heater to run just while the engine is cold, the turn it off as it warms up?

I have an inline fuel pump which I have noticed puts a fair bit of heat into the fuel.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Another idea to contemplate is fuel fired heater to heat fuel prior to start up. Think a little Green LP bottle and home made fuel heater tucked away somewhere on the bike like you did your water bottle. Thouugh I would encase it in say a PVC pipe" with space between the two filled with expanding foam.

For example a tiny WVO/Diesel pretank that the fuel enters prior to reaching engine. It should always be full ... aka... sitting between engine and fuel tank. Heat this with a little propane burner scavenged from say an RV hot water heater or camp stove orrr?

Of course a glow plug fuel heater is an option too but like you say that requires electric.

They also sell ... or did... nichrome wire made to heat the injector lines if you Alt. puts out enough volt/amps once running
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

That is a good idea. I think the electrical heating option would be the easiest way, buts it's all about balancing the electrical load.

I was thinking about insulated nichrome wire around the fuel filter (which sits just before the injection pump on mine) as the fuel rate is so slow through the filter, I shouldn't need to put lots of power through it. I could maybe spare 2-3 Amps if I loose the fuel pump, which I could do if the fuel is less viscous.
tappy

Post by tappy »

Unless you've got a leak, the flow rate is the same through both the filter and the injector lines! The difference is that the velocity is lower in the filter.
And in fact, heat transfer works better with higher flow velocity, so you *might* be better off heating around the injector lines instead.
I've been thinking about this on and off and recently realised that perhaps a small, steel heater unit fitted in series into the injector line would be good? Naturally it would have to be supported to avoid cracking the line, but if it WAS supported then it should actually help support the injector line, reducing vibration and cracking.
To me this would give the most consistent fuel temperature control.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Search WVO sites about heated injector lines. It is a well covered topic.

Also for Elsbitt.... try this address noack@anc.me

He was out of the country a bit in June and maybe July too.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

coachgeo wrote:Search WVO sites about heated injector lines. It is a well covered topic.

I will have a read.

Thanks for the email, I will give it a go. It's my understanding that they do modified injectors and also modified pistons in some cases?
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

alexanderfoti wrote:
coachgeo wrote:Search WVO sites about heated injector lines. It is a well covered topic.

I will have a read.

Thanks for the email, I will give it a go. It's my understanding that they do modified injectors and also modified pistons in some cases?
Had not heard about them doing modified pistons. hmmmm?? Makes since. Elsbett holds patents in that area.... or did at least.