Alex from Eugene, OR says hello!

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

sideshow
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Alex from Eugene, OR says hello!

Post by sideshow »

Hey everyone!

Been lurking for a bit now, slowly turning an old pipe dream into a (slightly daunting) reality.

A bit of background - I'm a fairly young engineer, working on developing/building/troubleshooting small to medium-sized laboratory equipment for a company here in Oregon. Motorcycles have been a dream of mine since I was a very small kid, but I never got the stones to do anything about it until recently. As of 2-3 years ago, I've been riding a gas :( powered 1985 honda Shadow 700 as my do everything vehicle. Great gas mileage, and a ton of fun adventures, but it's a first bike - my dream bike is still out there.

I started hearing bits and pieces about diesel motorcycles awhile ago, and every piece got me a bit closer to where I'm at now. After a fairly disappointing engineering degree (plenty of book knowledge, next to no practical/hands-on experience), I started thinking about a diesel motorcycle build as a good way of learning/obtaining those skills I missed out on. I love the bizarre looks I get just explaining the project, and I can't wait for the mileage!

My first build, which is just beginning, is going to be taking a 1980 CB750 and turning it into a diesel scrambler - something with enough power to do a 20-mile commute or a longer tour, with the ability to feel comfortable on all the fun forest roads out here in Oregon. We'll see how it goes! Definitely going to be learning a lot. Come check out my build as it goes at: https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... =31&t=2654
Project: 1980 CB750 with Hatz 2g40 (CVT)