CVT to shaft drive ... what do you need

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

CVT to shaft drive ... what do you need

Post by coachgeo »

found this info.
goldwingfacts.com wrote:...All motorcycles with a driveshaft on the right side of the bike (like a "GL whatever") have a drive shaft rotation of counter clock wise as looking from rear towards front ...
... and all motorcycles with a drive shaft on the left side of the bike have a drive shaft rotation of clock wise as looking from rear towards front.

This is because the ring gear must reside between the drive shaft and the wheel, and to go forwards the leading edge of that wheel and the ring gear accompanying it ... is going "down" ...
...which means the side of the drive shaft (which is coupled to the pinion gear) closest to the wheel / tire / ring gear is likewise, going "down".
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... atios.html
dieselbikin

Re: CVT to shaft drive ... what do you need

Post by dieselbikin »

I actually met "Cdog" and rode his bike. Great fella. The problem he had was the final drive of the shaft was too numerically low so ended he ended up with excessive belt slip. That was years ago, so he may have found a solution by now. One engineering challenge of shaft drive is you're stuck with the OEM final drive ratio. I suppose you could add a gear reduction after the CVT.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Is that a right side or left side shaft drive? hard to tell from the pic.

Wonder if it would be better to mount the CVT primary to engine, Secondary to jackshaft with sprocket then chain drive to another sprocket attached to Ujoint for final drive. That way he could change final ratio by switching sprockets around before the final drive. It would be like a chain drive bike where someone changes sprockets to accomidate a larger or smaller tire.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

But if you stayed with a shaft drive, you could go with a gearbox at the wheel and choose the ratio of your choice. And then adapt Artur's sweet system for changing tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ev8-dL ... Q&index=12
Ron
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

[quote="pietenpol2002"]But if you stayed with a shaft drive, you could go with a gearbox at the wheel and choose the ratio of your choice. And then adapt Artur's sweet system for changing tires. ...[quote]

Cool tire change. Pleaase elaborate on choosable ratio gearbox at the wheel.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Pleaase elaborate on choosable ratio gearbox at the wheel
Punch "right angle reducer" into Ebay.

And if I'm not mistaken, Artur's came off of a piece of Deutz farm equipment. I would expect huge losses with such a box. And heavy

Not sure what ratios are needed here but you could also consider the sweet little aluminum Yamaha "middle" transmission on either the xs750, xs850 or xs1100 shafties. Ratio is 1.056 on the middle gears and you have 2 choices of ratios for the Yamaha final drive, however you would presumably be using the Triumph final drive. This box was coupled to an engine rated at 95 horse and 50 ft. lbs. of torque. If using a jackshaft, the middle gearbox could conceivably be driven directly off the end of the jackshaft.

Punch into Ebay "XS1100 middle" (or XS750/XS850).
Ron
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

Check this sub transmission out from a Honda CB900C. It is self contained and has a high/low range!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-HONDA-CB90 ... 0859801392
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB900C
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

coachgeo wrote:Is that a right side or left side shaft drive? hard to tell from the pic.
Pretty sure it's on the right side coming off the CVT's secondary.
coachgeo wrote:Wonder if it would be better to mount the CVT primary to engine, Secondary to jackshaft with sprocket then chain drive to another sprocket attached to Ujoint for final drive. That way he could change final ratio by switching sprockets around before the final drive. It would be like a chain drive bike where someone changes sprockets to accomidate a larger or smaller tire.
+1
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet