Machining CVT for performance gain

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

DieselFly
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Machining CVT for performance gain

Post by DieselFly »

coachgeo wrote: OT- Interstingly... Carts Plus does offer machining of the driven pulley which allows the two halves of sheave to close together farther to push belt out to a larger diameter. which lowers starting gear ratio allowing motor to rev faster.
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/machining- ... lutch.html

On a golf cart you are stuck with the gears in the transmission. On the bike you can change the final drive sprockets. Raising the belt in the secondary could cause it to slip. And the bike will be a lot lighter than than a jacked up cart with two Bubba's in it :shock: I will look up the part numbers for the springs, weights and secondary that I used
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: More compact mounting of CVT

Post by coachgeo »

DieselFly wrote:
coachgeo wrote: OT- Interstingly... Carts Plus does offer machining of the driven pulley which allows the two halves of sheave to close together farther to push belt out to a larger diameter. which lowers starting gear ratio allowing motor to rev faster.
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/machining- ... lutch.html
On a golf cart you are stuck with the gears in the transmission. On the bike you can change the final drive sprockets. Raising the belt in the secondary could cause it to slip. And the bike will be a lot lighter than than a jacked up cart with two Bubba's in it :shock: I will look up the part numbers for the springs, weights and secondary that I used
I dont profess to know if it allows for slippage at the top. In some sled forums (or was it ATV?) I read machining allowed a tighter grab and less slip thru just about whole range. maybe they were refering to a different machining? Some claimed it even allowed for earlier activation. Maye that was a primary machineing?