Enfield Primary Drive Help Needed

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

pietenpol2002
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Enfield Primary Drive Help Needed

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Two questions for which I'm needing help.

1. Can anyone tell me what the center-to-center distance is between the crank and the clutch on the Royal Enfield primary drive?
2. And is that distance the same for the 4 speed as well as the 5 speed?

I have the newer production Indian 5 speed from a 2006 with the stock primary drive. With the transmission mounts built, I'm now needing the measurement to reposition the engine mounts after abandoning the Comet CVT. All stuffed into a Honda frame.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Ron
Sphere

Re: Enfield Primary Drive Help Needed

Post by Sphere »

I don't know in how much of a hurry you are with 1) but I could measure it on a 4-speeder, provided someone will state that the distance between 4- and 5-speed is the same. I think it will be, probably has the same primary drive. Just the shape of the box is different, the 5 speed has an annoying portruding bit that coincides with diesel clones.

Soonest I would be able to measure it is starting August, I think.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
henneberg

Post by henneberg »

Hi,

I have been measuring on the inner primary chaincase for the 4 speed gearbox as I am planning to use it for a Kubota Z482 implant :)

I measured 230 mm +/- 2 mm between the centres of the inner primary chaincase holes,
---------------
Enfield Ruggerini MD151 654cc build - running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UsIn5QLxk
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Thanks so much Erik for that measurement. That's very close to what I get in a rough measurement of the parts, but it's great to have it off of an actual bike. That now gives me enough information to move ahead with finishing the engine mounts. Even at that figure I can see daylight between the gearbox and the flywheel now that I've dispensed with the cooling fan shroud. Life is good.
And thanks too Sphere for your kind offer to provide a measurement at a later date. A helpful lot, this board is.
Ron