hero motocorp karizma 400cc diesel reviews..

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

hero motocorp karizma 400cc diesel reviews..

Post by Stuart »

dustom_99
Been here a while now..

Re: hero motocorp karizma 400cc diesel reviews..

Post by dustom_99 »

None of above is true as per my knowledge.
Yes Hero is working on diesel, infact they have just started. Pics shown are of petrol karizma, stats and figures given about diesel engine are speculations.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Glad you say that because several guys approached me at our rally recently about this bike. True or not, this will be the place to discuss this particular 'bike' :D
I noticed some engine shots complete with side covers on the cylinder and did wonder whether that was the diesel but I know it is the custom for manufacturers to have this kind of add on. I could also see the carb behind it :D
May put it out on FB page to see any comments from India. All input is welcome on these machines...

The TVS bike you mentioned appears to be a trike motor? Not expecting much from them.
dustom_99
Been here a while now..

Post by dustom_99 »

I along with many people will be surprised if hero group can make a good motorcycle of there own, forget diesel. They were bicycle assemblers who started assembling motorbikes when honda came along. They have recently found a new partner EBR .
Atall they come out with a diesel bike its likly to be 14-15bhp. They have never touched 18bhp in petrol out of 223cc motor. Quite similar story goes for TVS.
pietenpol2002
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Below is an archived review of the Scimitar (looks to be an HTD example). Apparently, most of the original reviews and references of the bike have been removed, including any reference on the Hero site. Causes you to wonder whether it's still in the works. Discussions on Indian forums of the engineering talent present at Hero after their split with Honda does not instill confidence that they can pull this off. Time will tell. But if they could, and at their projected price ($3360 to $3920), I'll be first in line.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... 90964.html
Ron
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

dustom_99 wrote:None of above is true as per my knowledge. ...
Would not being truthfull, or maybe better said.... would stretching truth to how close the bike is ready for production be a usual thing or not typical?
John

Post by John »

All statistics are for the petrol engine. A DI diesel of 400cc would struggle to generate 10 bhp @ 3600, much less 30 bhp. Fuel consumption of 30km/ltre (85 mpg) is reasonable for a 400 petrol single, but downright derv guzzling for a diesel of the same size. Since I'm getting 170 mpg out of my Enfield Yanclone with the 16T sprocket, I would expect a minimum of 185 mpg out of a specifically designed modern engine & bike. Hope the rumour is true, however. It would be nice to have a commercially available diesel bike from a major manufacturer.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

I also find the 30+ bhp a bit of a stretch. However, for what it's worth, most of the references list the engine producing that figure at 5700 RPM's.
Ron
rashidsunder
I don't post much...

Post by rashidsunder »