Starter issue

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Starter issue

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hi all

A bit of a wierd one going on at the moment.

I have my starter wired so there's a big 12v wire from the battery going to the starter solenoid on the starter motor.

I then have a relay powered by the starter button, whith the switched 12v side going to the starter terminal on the solenoid.

I have an issue where upon pressing the starter button, you can hear the relay clicking, you can hear the solenoid clicking, but thats it, also, the ammeter shows a 15amp load via the starter relay! (???)

If I bridge the 12v cable from the battery and the 12v sw pole on the solenoid the starter turns no problem.

Any idea?
sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Starter issue

Post by sbrumby »

Your starter button probably wont power the solenoid it will take to many amps.Just fit a relay in the circuit, power from the big wire to the relay contacts and going to the solenoid. Starter switch to the coil side and other to earth. Go to any scrap yard every car has about 6 in that will do.
Sam
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Sorry, my original post isnt clear, it already has a relay on it, do you think the relay isnt rated highly enough and has burnt the contacts?
Nanko
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Nanko »

If you hear the the starter solenoid clicking its not the relay.
To be sure , feed the solenoid direct from the battery.
If no effect,press the starter switch and measure the voltage on the high current contact which goes to the startermotor ( the other one is connected to the battery)
If no voltage present,the high current contacts in the solenoid are faulty.
If you see 12 Volt , it is the startermotor , dirty or worn brushes open windings etc.
peugeot TUD5 - MOTO GUZZI 16.500 km so far
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hi all, I took the switched wire from the relay, and connected it straight to the battery and the starter turned over, I have replaced the relay and its working again, I dismantled the old relay and the contacts are a little bit welded, we will see how long the new fares, thanks for the reponses.