October meet in NW UK?

Talk about riding, events, meets, rally's, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

mark_in_manchester
I luv the smell of Diesel...

October meet in NW UK?

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Hi Folks

Anyone from NW UK fancy a more local meet than the Big Knock? Family commitments and mechanical insecurity prevent my attendance, and I guess there might be other northern people who can't make the trip.

I have a Daihatsu-Ural which I plan to take to the regular Cossack Club rally in Dent, near Sedburgh, Yorkshire in October - and a friend plans to be there on a Guzzi V50 / Kubota creation, perhaps with a banking sidecar. He suggests he may know 5 or 6 others who might come. The site is a cheap, public campsite - just tents, a short walk to the pub, and a fried breakfast (no Russian heavy-metal accordion acts on the Saturday night, fire-eaters, or such exotica, I'm afraid). Last autumn it was 4 quid a night, and another 4 quid for a big fry-up in the morning in the family kitchen of the owners. Cossack club people are friendly and interested in mechanical oddness, and the scenery is spectacular (from Manchester, it gets good at Clitheroe and keeps getting better thereafter). Downside is you might end up camping at 30 degrees to horizontal, and it might p*ss down without mercy.

If anyone wants to know details I'll add dates and more detail on location.

cheers
Mark
Dougy

Re: October meet in NW UK?

Post by Dougy »

Count me in on both counts Mark !
Been to Dent loads of times, two years ago me an my mate got stuck there in three foot of snow by the Viaduct, perfect :)
IGNORE THE RATTLE AND ENJOY THE RIDE
rednorfolk

Post by rednorfolk »

not winter :( :( :( :( :( :( :( agh.........summer ,yes :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ,then im in.... :D
Royal Enfield 406cc diesel.
mark_in_manchester

Dates - 5-7 Oct. Last few years it's been warm - much more autumnal, than 'winter. But of course it might piss down...as it did on Sunday (early June!) for Queen's flotilla!

By the way - apologies to any Scottish readers. I of course meant NW England (Lancs / Yorks), not NW UK (Fort William!!)
diesel dick turpin
I'm pretty new here..

Post by diesel dick turpin »

count me in for this 1 i live in the west riding of yorkshire i suspect kevin may attend e mail me some details my address is dieselenfield@hotmail.co.uk cheers paul.
mark_in_manchester

This is all you need, folks:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/revie ... revid=4863

I've not spoken to the Cossack club organiser yet, but hey, it's a public site and there are usually other groups of bikers there when I visit. I expect one and all to be welcome, but do read the reviews of the site if that kind of thing matters to you. Apparently it's gone up to a fiver.
Dougy

Post by Dougy »

:)
rednorfolk

Post by rednorfolk »

:D looks good ,my go . :D
Royal Enfield 406cc diesel.
Dougy

Post by Dougy »

I met up with superacedude and srumby at the Shires custom show and sounds like thier up for it too, Its growing..... :D !
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I will try to make it keep me informed.
Sam
mark_in_manchester

Still trying to make contact with the cossack club organiser to be polite, regarding diesel imposters...and still planning to go...if weather is as good as today, it will be lovely...
mark_in_manchester

So - Cossack Club organiser is OK (positive, even...enthusiastic, maybe!) about diesel bike attendees at Dent. I aim to be there on the Fri and Sat night - I'll be on a black, ratty, Ural-Daihatsu on an M-suffix plate. Unless something happens beforehand, in which case I'll be on a J-suffix standard Ural 650. Hope to meet one or two of you there - my friend Adam is coming on a Kubota-V50, anyway! Message here if you need more info.

cheers
Mark
Dougy

Post by Dougy »

Just checked and there's gona be heat wave hit Dent all weekend an it's gona be snug an warm all night too so I'll be there this Friday :) gonna be 8)
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Hope it goes well guys & do post a few pics eh? :-)
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
mark_in_manchester

Um, that sounds like a tech challenge that might be beyond me. Sounds like there will be 3 diesel bikes, plus normal Russian oddities. As I type, weather looks gloomy, but at least it is not actively raining. I think I feel positive about it!
Dougy

Post by Dougy »

Had a great little weekend down in Dent, the place is absolutley stunning theres no bad roads just miles of old fashioned stone lined country lanes, the sound of my little diesel bouncing back of the walls was like music :) .
Met up with some great guys, Mark from Manchester and Adam, Mark had a close call on the way an dropped his bike, its a good job it was a 1000cc tripple cylinder car engined bike with cast iron barrels or it would have been really tricky to pick up on your own :lol: nothing too bad cos its a beast thats built to last ! Adams diesel is a v twin Kubota 500 Guzzi, both cracking bikes, there was also a 2 L Mondeo diesel engined trike which sounded awsome. So we had a single a twin a tripple and a four cylinder using all manner of transmissions so lots to talk about :D ,The Cossack owners club where a good bunch as well with some cracking good bikes.
By the way Mark, whos this 'Huey' you kept shouting for on Saturday ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dougy

Post by Dougy »

The Cossacks are coming.....

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Cheers for posting the shots there Dougy :-) Looks like it wasn't too wet for you guys! I've worked at Kendal several times & yes, the roads are good up there :-)
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Dougy

Post by Dougy »

NOT WET , NOT WET !!! I was bloody soaked Stu, my teeth where chattering all night I eventually dropped off about 4 an when I woke up I was lying in a three inch puddle !
mark_in_manchester

Thanks for posting those pics, Doug, and really nice to meet you. Sorry I was not better company; that 'Huey' really got the better of me. But I perked up, which was just as well as more Poles turned up who it turned out had considerable expertise in Bio-ethanol production...and refining...

Thanks for posting those pics, too. (The right hand end of all the pictures are missing on my screen - am I doing something daft?). Spot the unusual location of the front brake lever on my bike, and the 'distressed' look I seem to have adopted on RH pannier. Currently, hernia situation appears stable.

This rally usually happens in May and Oct, and from this experience, I think more diesel people would be welcome. Doug was an exemplary ambassador.