Site Admin

New speed record on Algae!

Post by Stuart »

XLerate
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: New speed record on Algae!

Post by XLerate »

Thanks, Stuart, interesting.

Wish it had more info and specifications in English, plus some more detailed info and pics of the mechanics of the bike. Still it's good to see. Couldn't tell from the page what this 'Algae fuel' could possibly be? No idea what it is processed from or how, or what sort of 'fuel' it makes. I picture algae as a scummy something floating in a pond or washed up on a beach, guess I'm missing something. Can't see the fuel potential in it.
TedV

Post by TedV »

Google to the rescue on algae fuel
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

Interesting, thanks!
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

in round about ways..... Algae diesel fuel is basically Biodiesel derived from results of processing Algae oil into biodiesel. Alage oil is pressed oil out of the Algae (up to a potential yeild of 60% oil per mass of algae) and then processed into biodiesel thru various ways from conventional triesterification to more exotic subsonic processing
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

I can see the potential. More than a little dubious here of the practicality of it when viewing the huge differences in guesstimates on yields per acre etc. Doesn't seem that the estimates should be so wildly varied as to have no resemblance to one another. It seems that an error factor in estimates at maybe + or - 20%-30% or even a bit more is understandable. Just did some research and saw error factors of as much as 6,000% difference in estimated yields per acre. Sure something wrong with that picture....