Post by Stuart »

I guess this runs on Kerosene and so loosley qualifies as a 'Dieselbike' :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... heels.html
pietenpol2002
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Jet bike

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Stuart,

With all due respect, I would argue that it doesn't qualify for the following reasons.

1. Propulsion does not occur as the result of compression ignition.
2. It's a freaking blow torch.
3. A true diesel-head would not agree that "kerosene" is a proper diesel fuel. Here in the states we have O'Doul's non-alcholic beer. No one, and I mean NO ONE, considers it beer. And kerosene is not diesel. End of discussion.
4. The flame-thrower in question was liberated from a helicopter. Any device designed to break the surly bonds of earth in which the wings are not fixed, is suspect. I don't wish to look out from the canopy and see the wings flailing about above me. I own an egg-beater, it stays in the kitchen, and God intended wings to be firmly affixed to the fuselage. There are 2 machines designed to be operated with 2 sticks - a helicopter and a bulldozer. And both tend to generate the same degree of destruction.
5. Try to envision this scenario. I strap roller blades to my feet and a sheet of plywood to my back. I'm facing away from, but in close proximity to a small fire alight in the back yard. At my command my wife douses the fire with a liberal supply of kerosene. I am promptly launched well into the next county (best done at night for the dramatic effect). Some would argue that I arrived in that county by way of diesel propulsion. I don't think so. Indeed, such events do occur in the world of jet engines, but they're called "uncontained failures".
6. Let's just agree, some poor soul hopes to go really fast by lighting a poorly metered supply of primitive petrochemicals strapped to his backside while restricting himself to 2 wheels in the hope that the subsequent explosion will exceed what his legs can sustain. As diesel types, we should not be associated with such bafoonery.

Did I over-react just a bit?
Ron
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Er, just a bit - I did put a smiley face at the end. :wink:

We already have a few turbine bikes scattered throughout the site though don't we :?: Not serious or balanced methods of two wheeled transportation I agree - but hey, these guys are pushing the envolope & using the right fuel 8)
pietenpol2002
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by pietenpol2002 »

My apologies Stuart. I totally missed the smiley face. And now that I've taken my medicine, I can perhaps accept it as being propelled by some form of diesel. You're a good sport and wonderful proponent of all things diesel. Keep up the good work and may it be a Merry Christmas.
Ron