Its arrived! Wehay

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Its arrived! Wehay

Post by alexanderfoti »

After 2 weeks, My AMR500 supercharger has arrived!:

That last blurry one is to illustrate the size.

I think im going to run it at a 1:1 ratio (should make it easy for pulley sizing) hopefully nothing goes pop!
nanno
Been here a while now..

Re: Its arrived! Wehay

Post by nanno »

What is it from as it looks VERY interesting ?

Cheers,
Greg
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I have no idea.

this site:

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Supercha ... ticle.html

says its from a 1l Nissan engine.

Its going to be an interesting one. Im going to take your advice and drive it 1-1 initially.

The only downside I can see from a turbo is that the boost is not easily controllable. If I want to change the boost I have to change the pulley size (which is a bit annoying when you are experimenting!)
rednorfolk
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by rednorfolk »

:shock: :shock: :D :D that looks like fun :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: .i was thinking of a ihi rhb31 turbo on my hardtail chopper project :?: :!: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Royal Enfield 406cc diesel.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

yeah I was looking for something to avoid having to run oil supply lines and a plenum chamber. Although im now faced with figuring out a way to attach a pulley to the flywheel and weld up a mounting bracket (And finding the space) doh!
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

By most accounts a plenum is still required to avoid the surge effect. If you've not been there, do check the Brit Bike discussion regarding supercharging a Triumph with an Aisin (albeit an AMR300). The chap uses no plenum, only short runners and reports having no problem. Even if petrol, there's still an interesting discussion of the Aisin. Included below are also pics and a reference to a Triumph that ran at Bonneville with a centrifugal supercharger using the belt driven cold side of a turbo. The belt covers would suggest that a double step of pulleys is utilized to get sufficient overdrive.

Good luck with your project and do keep up posted.

The links below may take you to the middle of a thread, so scroll around.

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthrea ... 560&page=1
http://tinyurl.com/d9b7soc
http://tinyurl.com/c8hglux
Ron
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

wow pietenpol2002, thanks for those links, helps to visualize the build and answers some questions.

Not sure why I Thought the supercharger wouldn't need a plenum chamber, still shouldnt be too hard to make one up.

Im intending to return to my diesel bike project in the new years if it warms up a bit (As I have no garage over here)
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Having now re-started this projected, and looked into those links with more detail. I see that they have mounted the supercharger pulley/belt on the drive side of the crank.

I am intending to mount mine on the flywheel side. The issues I can see with this are:

Pulley sourcing
Belt choices

I am going to run a 4 rib vbelt, not sure where to even start looking for something that would be the correct fitment/length?

Also, woudl it be easier to try and find a pulley from a car that is the correct size, or get something machined up?
tappy

Post by tappy »

Suitable belt drives can be had from companies like Fenner, Antifriction, Eriks, Ondrive etc