Camping beds for panniers

Talk about anything unrelated to Diesel Motorcycles - hard as that may be..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I'm always on the lookout for lighter camping beds and especially beds that will pack into a pannier system. This looks just the ticket although it's a bit costly.

Dead link removed.

luxurylite-ultralite-sleeping-cot
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Camping beds for panniers

Post by coachgeo »

not for cool weather use. The air flow below you will freeze your arse off. You would need more insulation under you with a cot than you would if you were on hard ground with an insulation/comfort pad.

Same problem with air inflated bedding. The air cools inside the bedding and keeps you from being able to stay warm.

Least that is what I've read as I've searched the topic. Real use milage may vary
Hoover
I don't post much...

Post by Hoover »

I use a gelert airbed. Folds to 3 inch by 6 inch bundle. And alot more comfortable than that looks anyday!
Tried the self inflating mats and way too big, had this one for years and best nights sleep ever :D
Oh and they do an XL version for more well endowed :D
http://gelert.com/products/sleeping/bed ... irbed_pump
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I normally use one of these. Cheap and simple, they are quite like my top choice but I'm always in a tent with a ground sheet and never really camping in the depths of winter. The sleeping bag is a thin but good one so I should be ok.

Dead link removed.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

coachgeo wrote:not for cool weather use. The air flow below you will freeze your arse off. You would need more insulation under you with a cot than you would if you were on hard ground with an insulation/comfort pad.

Same problem with air inflated bedding. The air cools inside the bedding and keeps you from being able to stay warm.

Least that is what I've read as I've searched the topic. Real use milage may vary
I detest being cold. I use a four legged camp bed but when touring I usually have a sheepskin rug under my bum as an anti numb bum measure on the bike ( not so necessary with the Enfield). At night when it is cold it goes under my bum again and also my back. I also use a Coleman 450 sleeping bag. I guarantee it will keep you warm. it is bulky though but quite light.
Larry
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I've got the new bed and I'm quite impressed :D I can now put the tent, bed, sleeping bag, pillow and a few other odments in one pannier :D And it aint too heavy either :!:
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

I am impressed with getting it all so small. How did it workout in practice? A few years ago I 'upgraded ' my old bag to a modern mummy type and never had a good nights sleep in it. Was always too cold. Since getting the very bulky Coleman 450 I have been warm and also have lots of room to turn around without rolling . Our stay at Willys' place was fine.
Larry
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

It worked out fine. I have a new tent now of course, a Nordkap 2 man job. Looks good and is big enough for the bed.

Edit: Gave up on the Nordkap when the crimped on pole ends became loose & fell off the fibreglass poles. Gone the Vango route.
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

I misread this thread title and thought if referred to camp beds which turn into panniers. I made some panniers (old ammo boxes) which turn into deck chairs - you sit on a cloth insert across the open box top, and lean back onto the open lid with a sponge lump tied across it. Very civilised...
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

http://www.tentcot.com/1.htm

Won't pack in a Panier but would be perfect for the pop up portion of a pull behind pop up camper
rednorfolk

Post by rednorfolk »

:roll: iv got a swag ,its v worm and snug :roll: :roll:
Royal Enfield 406cc diesel.
Big_Willy_USA
Been here a while now..

Post by Big_Willy_USA »

I've got one of these and its really comfortable, even though I'm right at the limit for it's capacity. Trick is the site needs to be really level, any incline makes for an uncomfortable night.

http://campingcot.com/
2006 Honda GL1800, 1989 Honda GL1500, 2 1981 Suzuki GS850's, 2004 Suzuki DL1000, 1972 Yamaha CS5, 1974 Honda ST-90, 1985 BMW K75S.
"Specialization is for insects" - Robert Heinlein
Eddy Wane

Post by Eddy Wane »

Hi All.
Have a look at http://www.balloonbed.com - They are a bit pricey at £22 but they are compact.
Eddy.
Building the bike. Top of my list, bottom of the wife's.