Timing issues

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

skoleskibe
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Timing issues

Post by skoleskibe »

How do one determine the injection timing on a yanmar or clone. It's evident that correct timing is influencing the engine caracteristics, and so the pronounced knock. I have added 0.3 mm shim after renewing my pump. The only way of measuring i could think of was to dismantle the fuel pipe at the nozzle, and then handcranck the engine at the flywheel. The new pump squirts 4 marks on the flywheel earlier than the old one did, assuming that one mark equals 1 deg, i decided to add 0.3mm shims more.

Any smarter methods to measure the timing ?
skoleskibe
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Timing issues

Post by skoleskibe »

How do the Diesel technician measure the injectiontiming ?????
Someone ought to know. and it would be lovely to ensure correct timing, as a reference for trial and error experiments
luizbenjamin
I'm pretty new here..

Re: Timing issues

Post by luizbenjamin »

skoleskibe wrote:How do one determine the injection timing on a yanmar or clone. It's evident that correct timing is influencing the engine caracteristics, and so the pronounced knock. I have added 0.3 mm shim after renewing my pump. The only way of measuring i could think of was to dismantle the fuel pipe at the nozzle, and then handcranck the engine at the flywheel. The new pump squirts 4 marks on the flywheel earlier than the old one did, assuming that one mark equals 1 deg, i decided to add 0.3mm shims more.

Any smarter methods to measure the timing ?
On every maintenance manual that i had my eyes on, tell to do like you describe.
Remove the pressure line, at the pump, and turn the flywheel by hand until the 0 (zero) mark it is at 9 hours location, after that continuing to turn, but very slow and observing the pump at the pressure line feed. As soon you see fuel START coming from the pump, you should stop turning, and check the marks on the flywheel, against the mark on the block. Do couple times, just to make sure you get the same measuring.