Howdy from Texas

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

balboa_71
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Howdy from Texas

Post by balboa_71 »

Wanted to reintroduce myself, I've been a member of this form for 5 years or so, but have been off line for a few years. Back in '06 I started building a diesel conversion: GS 850 Suzuki to be powered by a Kama 10 hp clone engine. Finished the build in '07 and have been riding the bike since. I was inspired by CrazyJerry's Changzuki CD, and members of this forum and the old Yahoogroups diesel bike forum.
My now old Kama clone generator engine is still running strong, but it's crankshaft taper to straight conversion leaves me to believe I should upgrade to either a standard 10 hp eBay engine (Changfa clones), or go with a Hatz 1B40 sold at Northern Tools for just under $3,000. I find it hard to part with 3 grand, so I'd like some input from other forum members, pro's/con's. Also, looking at eBay this evening there are a few 19 hp Hatz twins for sale for around $2k. Problem I see with them is the tapered crankshaft stub (I'm wanting to keep my Comet torque converter) and the chance that these engines might be single speed units.

Suggestions welcome,
Thanks,
Cris
1980 GS850 converted to 10hp diesel clone power.
2006 Jetta TDI for road work.
2007 Bonneville
pietenpol2002

Re: Howdy from Texas

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Welcome back Chris. And great to hear your bike is still on the road. If I understand your question correctly, it sounds like part of the concern is the tapered shaft crank. If so, the cheap and easy fix would be to replace it with a straight shaft crank, and for $59.99. Just several weeks ago the price was $33.99, so they've gone up a bit, but still quite reasonable. Additionally, they are for the longer stroke engine bumping you from 406cc to 418cc. But, maybe I'm missing your point.

http://tinyurl.com/3kj525k
Ron
balboa_71

Post by balboa_71 »

Ron,
You got the question right. I visited the website that is selling those cranks for $59.99, and that would be the most economical way to go. I don't feel comfortable tearing down my engine however since I don't have a good manual for the job. On some engine tear downs, certain fasteners have to be replaced, and then there is getting the big end plain bearing clearance set right. I'd prefer to start with a new engine designed for non-generator use. I'd really like a Hatz, but don't know if the more affordable 1B41's I see on ebay is a better way to go. In addition, there are ex-military twin cylinder Hatz's going for reasonable prices, again, on eBay. The 1B40 looks like a sure thing, but at $3k is just a tad too much.

Thanks,
Cris
2007 Bonneville
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Balboa...... not far from you in TX.

IMHO- Rebuild your existing engine with better crank. Yup their will be a learning curve but if ya can figure out how to build a Diesel bike you can figure that out.

orrrrrr.. ride the shiat out of yours till it blows the engine. I the meantime save away for it's replacement. Your probably got another 5-10years on what ya got LOL
balboa_71

Post by balboa_71 »

Well, I'll save up for a replacement and use what I have for spares when the new one arrives, provided I go with another clone. The clones sound like they are on the brink of destruction at any moment, a bit unnerving. When you look at what the folks in Europe are using, they more than likely have a Hatz under the hood. I've got a Hatz ES79 I'm looking at, but it will produce a tad less power and may not have a 1"Ø shaft.

Thanks,
Cris
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Spending 3k on a Hatz that will yield you 1-2 extra hp seems outrageous. Just keep on the lookout for a nice single cylinder and spend your money on a km2v80.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
balboa_71

Post by balboa_71 »

Sphere,
I Googled km2v80 and read some of the info available on the net. Looks like a nice clean design, but not available to the U.S. as far as I can see.

Thanks,
Cris
2007 Bonneville
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

It would surprise me if noone in North-America imports Kipor... there is a nice Dnepr conversion, I will see about a pic in some Hamm 2010 album. To me it seems it is exactly what you are looking for.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
balboa_71

Post by balboa_71 »

Sphere,
Here a few years back they were selling Dnepr "kit" bikes to the public. Sort of a gray market thing, you bought the frame, engine and balance of bike in a kit. You then assembled the bike and with all the receipts, got a "builders" title, and before long, had a street legal non-DOT approved road bike. Problem was the flat head 750cc engines ran hot, and there were the usual problems with electrical issues and to be honest, not everyone over here in the states can put a motorcycle together and keep it rideable. I almost bought one from a guy in Austin that was tired of problems with his, but he had gone thru all the trouble to get it legal. Best thing I could do is buy an old Ural like the '95 Solo I used to own. They are very strong, frame wise and super easy to work on. Once you replace all the rubber parts seals, and electrical, you have a "tank" of a bike.

Cris
2007 Bonneville
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

balboa_71 wrote:Sphere,
Here a few years back they were selling Dnepr "kit" bikes to the public. Sort of a gray market thing, you bought the frame, engine and balance of bike in a kit. ..
You can do one better now. There is a place in ..... hmmmm...; Sacramento CA if I recall right, where you can get boxed NOT KIT true Dnepr.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Here's a Ural up for auction close to me. If only it ran, I'd deliver it to you for the gas (and of course all the parts that vibrated off on the trip). Just out of curiosity I've sent an email to inquire about a title.

http://www.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=463886
Ron
balboa_71

Post by balboa_71 »

Ron,
I know the Ural dealer down in Austin...pretty good guy. If I want to get back into Urals, I'll probably get with him since he'll know whats good and whats not. I think Ural got on the expensive to own and operate list a few years back, and that can be a problem if one buys a bike needing a lot of parts.

Cris
2007 Bonneville
balboa_71

Re: Howdy from Texas 2014 Upgrade

Post by balboa_71 »

Hello all,
Been neglecting my account here with too many other projects and work. Don't know if I mentioned it here on the forum via another email, but here is where my '80 Suzuki 850 conversion stands:
Upgraded from 10 hp Chinese clone generator engine to a nice Kubota OC-95 single a few years back. Last weekend I replaced my Comet 500 belt with one I purchased new 3 years ago...made huge improvement in performance (great engagement from stand still and higher top end). Removed home made baffles from fishtail exhaust, Should have left it this way from the beginning. Bike and engine run out good, she's getting old, but is holding together even after 35 years on the road. Going to get some frame welding done soon, cracks in my old welds...all old welded joins are bolted before welding originally. Don't know how long pillow block bearings will last since you cannot grease the bearing, all you can grease is the bearings ability to pivot/swivel in their cast iron housing. Chain and sprockets (#50 size) are holding up well, I keep them lubricated religiously, as replacement for rear sprocket will require machining,and besides they cost a lot when I built the bike.

Regards,
Cris
2007 Bonneville
coachgeo

Re: Howdy from Texas 2014 Upgrade

Post by coachgeo »

balboa_71 wrote:...Going to get some frame welding done soon, cracks in my old welds...all old welded joins are bolted before welding originally. Don't know how long pillow block bearings will last since you cannot grease the bearing, all you can grease is the bearings ability to pivot/swivel in their cast iron housing. Chain and sprockets (#50 size) are holding up well, I keep them lubricated religiously, as replacement for rear sprocket will require machining,and besides they cost a lot when I built the bike.

Regards,
Cris
You going to take it to Curtis in Rhome for the welding and upgrades? Check out his and my Tiger and the KLR diesel while your there