James USA Maine 13hp Enfield conversion

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

royaldragon
I luv the smell of Diesel...

James USA Maine 13hp Enfield conversion

Post by royaldragon »

Hello all!,
I love this site! I have been checking it out for over two years now and have decided that I had to have a diesel bike to run on WVO or some Bio fuel. I have gotten a 13hp Winsun single cylinder diesel and a 1981 350 Royal Enfield. With a few parts from Henry at Pricepart I am on my way! My friend Carlos from El Salvador is my sidekick in the job and we have had lots of fun so far. Now I am on a trip South west to Baja California Sur, so our project is on hold for now. Carlos might cut the front tube on the frame and weld the the engine frame in while I am gone.
I have no idea what I am doing but I am learning lots as I go.
Any advise or help would be welcome and I have a lot to learn about diesels. I don't even know what half (that's an understatement) of the things are on the engine. The Chinese manual(if you can even call it that) is not very much help either as to understanding the thing. Please contact me if you know anything about the engine that you would like to share and or anything about using biofuels with an air cooled engine.

To see my progres check out my pics here So far there are not many and there wont be many as i am traveling but when I return I hope to have extensive photos of the build. http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g33 ... %20Diesel/

Happy building and riding!!

James
Royal Enfield Conversion with 13HP Winsun to run on WVO
http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g33 ... %20Diesel/

dragonmotors.net
Dan J

Re: James USA Maine 13hp Enfield conversion

Post by Dan J »

Hello James and welcome to the site.

Looking at the pictures you've posted, this engine is essentially a Yanmar clone (though presumably if it's 13hp then larger than the 406cc that the bulk of them seem to be). To that end there is a whole wealth of relevant information on this site including links to Yanmar engine manuals you can download through to detailed posts on how to set up the governor properly and so on. Have a look round - anything you can't find I'm sure you'll find someone who either has the right answer or can point you in the right direction.

Dan
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Welcome to the forum James, by looking at the photo link it looks like a nice conversion your doing there ;).

Keep up the good work, as Dan said, there is a lot of information regarding the enfields and other bikes for that fact using the Yanmar clones. Agree Dan, if it's 13hp its the bigger 456cc version, the photo link of James has it labeled as a 188 - would be great if they made a 500cc engine as I'd say it would have enough go to do just about anything :) !!

Interesting how the few extra cc's will go, might be time for an engine upgrade 8) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

A ;)
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Welcome james. You've come to the right place. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here, and if we don't know the answer, we'll make something up.

I am curious where you got your engine. I had understood that Winsun had suspended production of the 456cc model due to crank failure problems. But upon checking their website, there they are. Interestingly, they show the FA model as 438cc with a rating of 9.9 hp (as converted from KW) and the FB model as 456cc (when converted reflecting 11.28 hp). Did you get yours from someone who handles them or did you import directly from the mother country? It will be great to hear what your experience is James. Keep us posted.
Ron
royaldragon

Post by royaldragon »

This engine was bought from a dealer who happened to have this engine. At the time he was the only one who had it in stock and I paved more than I should have for it. But my desire to ride this summer overtook my logic and reasoning. I had talked directly to China previously and they told me the could get me a test engine that dint have epa certification but we thought we might run into import problems with that so I held off. It sounds to me like they have their new design going but not yet certified. Hopefully mine will not have the crank issues but i will find out. I am wondering how easy it would be to fabricate a new one and if a stronger one could be made or if the issue lies within the engines poor design. We will see I will keep this updated once o start work on it again

dragonmotors.net
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I think this engine is rated as 8.3KW at@ 3600 which is 11.27HP. Probably just the photo and not in the finished possition but the front wheel seems near to the new bit of frame, have you allowed for the fork travel?
Sam
royaldragon

Post by royaldragon »

The engine is actually on a wheeled cart in front of the bike as I have not yet cut the tube to allow it to roll in to fit it with the chassis so the engine looks bigger and appears misaligned as it is not actually sitting in the chassis now. No worries it will fit! I have measured a few times. I was just positioning as such to get an idea of what it will look like.

dragonmotors.net
royaldragon

Post by royaldragon »

If any one is intereasted in this engine the Gentelman at a1biofuel.net said
The Winsun factory is moving to a new location.
They won't be back in production till the end of Feb.
Our next shipment won't arrive until May or June at the soonest.
The website is not up to date.
We do have some nice 10hp, 22hp & 25hp engines available
and can beat anybody's price.
Hope we can do some business.
Sincerely, Ole HansenCheck them out.
I found Ole very good at communicating and very helpful as well. He seems to know quite a bit.

dragonmotors.net
royaldragon

Post by royaldragon »

Motorcycle is all packed up in storage in CT and I can't wait to get it down to Mexico. I now have no motorcycle to ride, so it's either find a cheep one here or just power through finishing the bike as soon as it arrives so i have something to ride. Who knows when it will get here though/ Not much left to do, just paint, align motor and mount it and reassemble entire bike,... OK maybe there is a lot to do but not much compared to what I started with. At least I finally have all the parts! I will be fabricating from scratch from now on, except engines and gearboxes. Getting parts from India can be a nightmare especially when I have been ordering parts as I discover ones that are no good. Every time I thought I had everything I needed I would find some other broken part.https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/post ... f=7&t=1710# I should have just bought a new gearbox as I pretty much purchased all the parts separately to replace bad ones. Oh well live and learn.

dragonmotors.net