CVT mounting? housing?

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

tabernac
I'm pretty new here..

CVT mounting? housing?

Post by tabernac »

Noob question - what does the drive and driven pulley attach to in the CVT transmission. I looked at the old Comet kits and they seemed to have aluminium plates the pulleys attach to. The GTC company makes them, but word has it they're garbage, can anyone verify that? What is the most common setup? Where do people get the CVT mounting plates? Do they just use converted bell housings? Homemade? What am I missing here??

Also - after the CVT what final drive sprocket and rear wheel sprocket ratio works best against the vehicle weight? Lots of these diesel engines have such low horsepower I don't know how they get up to highway speed...

Thank you! There are some awesome looking machines here
tabernac
I'm pretty new here..

Re: CVT mounting? housing?

Post by tabernac »

tabernac wrote:Also - after the CVT what final drive sprocket and rear wheel sprocket ratio works best against the vehicle weight? Lots of these diesel engines have such low horsepower I don't know how they get up to highway speed...
https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... atio#p6304
tabernac
I'm pretty new here..

Post by tabernac »

After some more digging around (read: two days of trying every single search string I can think of) I found this picture uploaded by dieselbikin (thanks btw!)
Is this more like the common setup? A steady bearing or pilllow block onto the frame, a keyed shaft and the sprocket held on by a couple collars? I wish I could search through some picture tags to find more photos with this kind of detail!
pietenpol2002
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Yup, that's pretty much it. Just variations on that theme of jackshaft and bearings. I'll leave it to others to answer the question regarding sprocket sizes. However, below is a thread with some links to that discussion.

https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... 6304#p6304
Ron
tabernac
I'm pretty new here..

Post by tabernac »

Thanks for the reply.
I noticed that Kohler is making a 1000cc liquid cooled engine with a CVT already incorporated, with reverse. Good for a Ural or large touring bike conversion I guess.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/press/arti ... =cvtdiesel

pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

As the owner of Lombardini they now appear to be rebranding the Lombadini designs for sale in the US. As you suggest it would make a great combo for a bit larger bike. The pic in the link below would be great for a trike, given the differential and all. I believe they also offer those models with a drive directly off the CVT (sans differential), which would be great for a 2 wheeled or sidecar application.

http://www.lombardinigroup.it/lombardin ... r-pack-cvt
Ron
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Does that table really list a 523 engine with 20ish kW at 6000 rpm?
Last edited by Sphere on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Unless it's a typo, that's what it says. Guess we can add that one to the list of "high speed" diesels. Interesting also is the reference to "Presence of the functions of brake and engine brake" (as translated from the Italian). An engine brake? Really?
Ron
tabernac
I'm pretty new here..

Post by tabernac »

It's definitely a gasoline engine... I expect a diesel engine run at that speed would explode into ten thousand horrible fiery bits. Also the model number doesn't correspond with any of the diesel engines they manufacture, there is no LDW 523 there is LGW 523 tho and it's gasoline.

Another question btw, when installing a CVT what is the most common mounting distance between the two pulleys? Is that governed by belt sizes? By the size of the clutch and driven?
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

tabernac wrote:It's definitely a gasoline engine... I expect a diesel engine run at that speed would explode into ten thousand horrible fiery bits. Also the model number doesn't correspond with any of the diesel engines they manufacture, there is no LDW 523 there is LGW 523 tho and it's gasoline....?
So not to confuse readers.... Yes the 523 appears to be petrol but this thread is about a different CVTed engine. BTW- not sure where your getting a 523 model doing 6grand-rpm out of the sites linked on this page. Myself I only saw LDW models.

Here is the opening info of material direct from the Kohler Website linked to a few post up. It shows LDW
correct
kohler wrote:...KOHLER, Wis. – February 2010 – Kohler Co. has announced an expansion of its North American diesel engine product line, which now features a combination diesel engine/transmission package with CVT (continuous variable transmission) – ideal for powering off-road utility vehicles.

The KOHLER KDW 1003 diesel power train with CVT is a complete ...
The KDW 1003 is the LDW 1003 engine. Same engine that Heiko uses.

the pages also hint that maybe Kohler actually bought out Lombardini not that they are just rebadging.