CVT info for newbie

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

navinav
Been here a while now..

CVT info for newbie

Post by navinav »

Hello,
I have been trying to google some information on cvt transmissions and how they work. I could only find applications for electric cars. I wanted to find out how they shift and at what torque range for diesels? Also, are most people custom building their cvt's for their bikes or ordering premanufactured ones?
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: CVT info for newbie

Post by coachgeo »

have you looked thru the CVT forum that sits just above this one? Some good topics w/links already exist in there that will answer most those questions.
navinav
Been here a while now..

Post by navinav »

It must be my dyslexia. I can't believe I overlooked that. Thanks
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

I disagree. The position of that subforum is terrible. Combining subforums and threads in one screen is terrible from a usability point of view. I never raised this issue before because I didn't want to be picky, but now I have to respond.

Small phpBB forums usually all have the same layout, and the current layout/position is unexpected.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Sphere wrote:I disagree. The position of that subforum is terrible. Combining subforums and threads in one screen is terrible from a usability point of view. I never raised this issue before because I didn't want to be picky, but now I have to respond.

Small phpBB forums usually all have the same layout, and the current layout/position is unexpected.
Sorry for the late reply. Just now saw this responce.

I dont disagree with you at all. It is odd layout. I find the most odd in here is the Technical Talk section... From the main page it seems to be like everything else on that page.... a forum called Technical Talk... but when opening it expecting to see threads in date order.... you see a collection of Sub forums. The non date order is the clue to you that they are not threads. Still throws me off everytime. Under CVT is yet another sub forum. Not a bad thing.... just not what one expects.

But.... being an AVID user of Bulleting boards and a moderator of MANY of them, be it of a whole board or just a single forum and as a former Admin of another board using phpBB... this is the ONLY Bulletin board I have ever seen that even has Sub Forums. I moderate on boards that are HUGE with hundreds of thousands of members total but no sub forums (benzworld.org w/nearly 350,000 members, formerly also at pirate4x4.com with 165,000+ members). Moderate for some small ones too like burnveg.com with 520something members. All with no subforums. So seems to me the Admin of this this site is in a bit of uncharted territory.

LOVE the potential in Subforums. Felt the need for them for a LONG TIME. Over time admin here will figure out best use of them. IMHO.... Just like the bikes we build... we in here; are leading the way.

If you know of other Bulletin Boards with Forums AND Sub Forums please give me a link. Would love to see how they have set them up. Sure the Admin here would like to see it too.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Yeah, I know CVT sits odd up there but it's associated with this Sub Forum so thought it best to put it here. I could move it out into the Tech Talk area I guess, to make it more visible. We'll see.
The actual way phpBB lays out isn't ideal if you want sub forums like we have, with post Topic boxes appearing in odd places etc but hey, like with every other aspect here, we're pushing at the limits aren't we :?: :wink: Maybe newer version of phpBB will improve things and offer alternatives. Personally I think it helps draw interested parties in to look around.
I've just tried to lay it out to help ppl find stuff easier. It's hard to stay on top of it all and I don't get much time to move topics about but hopefully there is more good here than bad :D But it's organic and will grow and morph this way and that to accomodate most stuff that is relevant to us. Always open to suggestions - it's just that limitations in the software and my time don't always help :D

Stuart