BNR Bob Newby grease update.

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Anorak_ian
I luv the smell of Diesel...

BNR Bob Newby grease update.

Post by Anorak_ian »

Those who have a Bob Newby BNR (Hitchcock's aftermarket) clutch will no doubt already know of its special needs :lol: regarding grease....

Castrol say Spheerol B2 is now no longer being made but may be had here 400 grams from http://www.motoscope-online.co.uk £5.99.

Spheerol b2 has been superseded by Castrol Energrease HTG2. However, Castrol also say HTG2 is old and their latest offering is Tribol 4747/220-2.

400grams Tribol 4747/220-2 from http://www.woodberrychillcott.co.uk £11.75
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: BNR Bob Newby grease update.

Post by Stuart »

Thanx for that info Ian :D The LPS Thermmaplex Hi-Temp Bearling Grease (329F) I'm using is still going fine. Am about to put a further 50 miles on the bike going to the Vikings bash. It remains to be seen whether it will last the run to Uttoxetter and the Hamm? But so far so good 8)
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Just to keep all informed.

It's 1000 miles on since the rebuild with Tribol grease and I have had to rebuild the clutch again,
so Tribol is no good for this clutch, thank you Castrol.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

The Thermmaplex grease I'm using is still working fine and I've just put a further 400 miles after attending the Uttoxeter show. I aim to run it to Hamm again and think (hope actually) that it will be ok until atleast after that.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

What does "rebuilding" mean in this context? Have parts of the clutch died on you? Since the clutch is 500quid I would imagine rebuilding it is no laughing matter.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Re greasing the bearings / alloy plate / sides of the clutch centre,
the alloy ring has damage to it where it has run without lubrication, also the bearings have started to slightley groove the clutch centre.

Even after rebuilding it, it feels rough to turn due to the worn alloy ring.
Needles to say I'm getting shot of it asap.