CVT reactions to grime dirt ??

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

TedV
I luv the smell of Diesel...

CVT reactions to grime dirt ??

Post by TedV »

I'm also curious how the belt on a CVT act if and when they get wet from the mud, grime, etc.
IgorVigor

Re: CVT reactions to grime dirt ??

Post by IgorVigor »

The experiences I have had with CVT's (on scooters, quads, etc) are that when they get wet they slip and squeal badly...

as for dirt/grime/mud/etc it can tear the belt apart and cause the same problem as water...

They really rely on getting warm (but not hot) as it increases the grip the rubber belt can get...
Kevlar belts (as fitted to most scooter CVT's) are much, much stronger than plain rubber ones and the kevlar fibres seem to help them grip better, even when cold...

basically, if you are fitting one, you need to keep it as dry as possible, by putting it in a case...but the case does need to have ventilation if using a rubber belt...

most scooters are a sealed casing (some use a gasket, some dont) because the kevlar belt is so much better...

Hope that helps...
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

On quads with CVTs, there is a big snorkel to shoot cooling air into the otherwise sealed belt case. And the belt case still gets very hot. On a bike with 30hp, the belt case would definitely need to be sealed, and would definitely need some cooling air.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

hmmm.... thanks for the info Albert. Very interesting.

On the Track the CVT is sealed somewhat from elements... it is cooled somehow though. Not sure how yet