Starter/Generator

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

dieselbikin
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Starter/Generator

Post by dieselbikin »

We have discussed to possibility of having the starter also act as a generator. I found a cheap on at Surplus Center that may be of interest.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp? ... e=electric
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
smokyjoe

Re: Starter/Generator

Post by smokyjoe »

I remember seeing (a long time ago) a starter/generator that had a planetary gear reduction when used as a starter, then the reduction would "lock up" when used as a generator. Can't remember where I saw it but the same type of arrangement would be good for the torque needed to spin over a Diesel. Of course if the starter would turn the engine with the compression released, then just flip off the compression release and it'd start (that's how my big old Lister 2 cyl is supposed to be started)

It sure would beat kicking, cranking, or yanking a rope on a cold day by the side of the road! I wonder if that starter would have enough torque? I think the 15 amps listed is the "charge" current, didn't see a "starting" current listed, that could give some ballpark idea of the torque.
smokyjoe

Post by smokyjoe »

AAAAHHH- never mind, I see it is .9HP. Looks like it would kick over a small diesel with the right reduction with the compression released no problem! I think that golf cart engines are direct coupled 2 strokes that start up and run in either direction. The starter also starts the cart on it's way before the engine fires, which makes this starter handy as it could be turned over either direction. Generally the full battery voltage is applied in the "starter motor" mode, then when the start switch is released the voltage regulator kicks in to regulate output voltage via field current (amps). The golf cart regulator would probably be pretty complicated due to the bi-directional thing, a simple one could be made or you could use an old garden tractor regulator (my old Sears tractor uses a standard Delco car generator as a starter/generator with a special regulator with a "start" terminal if I remember correctly).

Nice find!
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

I had a late 60s 125cc Czech scooter called a Tatran, which had a dynastart. It had a huge stator and rotor, split into loads more poles than usual, and was 12v which was unusual for such an old bike. When you hit the button, it went kind of pppsssshhhhh-blub-a-lub-a-blub-a- as it slowly pushed the 125cc single over TDC and then started to spin it. Sometimes it even started! My guess is decompression would be required for a diesel...

M.
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

back in the early 70's I fitted boats with Yanmar 9,5HP engines that had dynastart. Two belts driving the outer circumference of the flywheel.
Larry